Resistance: Fall of Man Questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by RMD68, Mar 9, 2007.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

I just received my brand new PS3 in the mail today. I'm still waiting on my Virtua Fighter Five being shipped. I needed a game in the meantime to test out the system and I picked Resistance: Fall of Man. From what I heard and read the game got great reviews. I'm only able to run at 480i at the moment (using S-Video) but the graphics look great. The only problem I'm having is with the controls. The only two major FPS's I've played in my life were Goldeneye for the N64 and the original Half-Lifee for the PC both awesome games. When I was playing those games I did not recall having trouble with the controls. By the controls I don't mean knowing where the buttons are but that feeling fluid with my characters movements and aiming the gun. I never really spent a lot of time with Halo but I had some trouble with that too. Perhaps more time with the game will improve my skills but it doesn't really seem to fit like a glove for me. I was wondering if anyone else was having any difficulty like this with this particular game.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No I dont have that problem at all.

I find the controls of Resistance excellent, and the sensitivity is just about perfect.

I think you just need to get used to the dual analogue controls.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Get yourself use to the controls and have a blast...the game is a lot of fun and the guns are excellent.

Bless

4. darkwing macrumors 65816

I agree with MRU and 2ny. You just need to get used to it. The PS3 is compatible with wireless mice and keyboards, so hopefully future FPS games will be compatible with them. You can't be a mouse and keyboard for an FPS game imho.

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah like they said I think your problem lies in that you haven't get used to the dual analogue control config.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I also agree with the other posters. The game is great, and I haven't had any problems with it.

7. RMD68 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that basically what I'm having a problem with. Goldeneye for the N64 only had one analog stick and the other FPS's I played were on the computer. I played a bit more today and I'm getting more of a hang with it. I changed the sensitivity down to zero because it was a bit too jumpy for me. I will probably change it as I progress. I haven't gotten very far with it but its pretty cool thus far

That would be great if they become compatible with a keyboard and mouse. I agree that FPS's are great with that combination over the dual analog controller scheme. Although, as others said once you get used to it it should run pretty smoothly.

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Having played many FPSs on all platforms, I think that Black on PS2 and Resistance on the PS3 are the two games that have their sensitivity and look controls adjusted perfectly. While "migrating" from Black, Resistance was a matter of 2-3 minutes play in order to get used to the controls. Combined with the great controllers of PS3 I felt that the camera went exactly where I needed it to.

I think it's a matter of getting used to it. Personally, I prefer mouse control over controllers, but I really think that isn't too much of a problem.

9. slicedbread macrumors regular

Is it just me, or does no one else find RFOM to be incredibly boring and bordering on tedious?

Admitted, its the best FPS on the PS3 to date, but aside from that I don't see it breaking any new ground in this incredibly worn genre?

I don't have an X360, but my limited time on GOW is enough to make me think its miles better than RFOM...

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I found the controls for Resistance to be a bit jerky compared to Rainbow Six or Gears of War, but turning down the speed helped a bit.

As for the game, well, it was *mostly* interesting. Not as cool as it might've been, but still a good buy.

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm not a huge fan of the FPS genre, but I have played a number of the games over the years, and Resistance is my favorite one that I've played. I wouldn't argue that it's particularly ground breaking in any way, but in my opinion it's just done better than all of the other FPS games I've played.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I have played a ton of FPS's and there was enough variety, balanced weapons with new ones introduced at suitable times, and the jeep section was a total blast and it controlled better than the jeeps in Halo & Halo2

The fact that I know most of the locations in the game adds a layer of charm and familiarity that makes the game experience a little more fun for me, especially since most FPS's are based in locals I'm unfamilar with.

Oh and zombie aliens in Gimsby is a pretty acurate portrait of the town actually (without any invasion going on :D )

I loved the scuttling little creatures like aliens and as they attack in hives, and the AI was throughout very impressive generally.

On a personal level i've enjoyed the game FAR more than I thought I would, and I do find it far more entertaining than GOW.

For me it was the perfect match of COD war and HalfLife alien future invasion scenario and I'd give it a 9/10

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Don't be fooled because its not...GOW is quite linear. R:FoM has a epic "call of duty" feel to it sometimes which I love. The one thing I don't like with R is some of the online maps...sometimes its too big and I feel like I'm running around forever...almost like lost coast in Lost Planet.

Bless