Resistance gets thumbs up

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Nov 11, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745206p1.html

I dunno if this is the first review out there but im happy. 9.1 is pretty good and this is the game I have pre-ordered.

"Further enhancing the atmosphere are the visuals themselves. Though they're certainly not the most impressive we've ever seen, they're still pretty powerful and accomplish a number of remarkable technical feats. The framerate is locked at 30 the whole way through and doesn't falter anywhere... ever. In fact, regardless of how many enemies and moving objects were on the screen at one time, there wasn't a single frame hitch the entire way through. Oh, and since we're talking about enemies and objects, there are scores of them -- Chimera, British soldiers, tanks, VTOLs, debris, tracers, explosions, and plenty of other moving and stationary are everywhere with alarming frequency. Each and every environment is noticeably different from one another as well, and while the texture work isn't overly detailed, it still looks pretty good."

^In reference to MRU's thread about the crappy frame rate in Tony Hawk. Good to know I...wont....be...play...i...ng....chop..p..y...g...a.mes

"As strong as everything in Resistance is, the real standout factor in the experience is its multiplayer. Simply put, it's incredible."

Too bad it uses a non-integrated buddy list *doh*

Overall the game sounds pretty fun though. Good to see the weapon variety from R&C make it over to a FPS pretty well.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I just posted this over on the other thread.

Resistance has lived up to the promise though.

9.1 on IGN

40 player online.... This is going to be the driving force for the PS3. Thank god - it needed this in it's launch.

Wierd discrepancy though in the review, they fail to mention graphics resolution... I assume its 720p ????

When i get my ps3 (assuming Sony do release it in Europe in march) this will be the game I buy...

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I have to admit, that may be the first time in recent memory that I can think of a reviewer saying '30 FPS! Woot!'.

Is there some limitation on HDTVs that I'm unaware of, or is 'a solid 60fps!' no longer the standard?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You think these "super computers" will be running games like this at 60fps? there needs to be room for improvement else we'll be stuck with these systems forever!

Good to hear the game is getting good reviews. Potentially the "Halo" for the PS3? that game alone made me buy an Xbox. Any gravity guns in this one? ;)

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's not that it's not possible, it's that these are first generation games. It takes a while for developers to harness the power and techniques needed to get 60FPS.

Burnout on 360 is 60fps for example.

6. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

It depends on the game.

And 30FPS constant is smooth enough, in fact, many games from this gen and the last (I'm talking PS2/Xbox and PS1) were locked at 30fps, a good example of this is Halo... In fact some games play better at constant 30fps...

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ agreed say a game is 60fps and then drops to 30 in some areas and then goes back up... that's more iritating than if it's just locked at say 30 as long as it never drops below that your in for a smooth ride anyway.

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Oh yeah - much rather bump the image quality and keep it at 30 than fiddle about trying to get it "smoother" and having it dip all over the place

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

So what is so special about this multiplayer? I haven't heard anything suggesting it doesn't play like standard FPS multiplayer that has been in countless games...

Halo, Halo 2, and now Gear of War all offer a unique approach to FPS multiplayer (more strategic then the standard fair) and that is what I liked about them.

Me personally, 40 players isn't very appealing to me most of the time. I've always preferred around 8-16 player games, going much beyond that just makes these games chaotic, imo.

10. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Sorry to ask it may have been answered already but are the multiplayer going to be on sony servers or are they resistance servers and then with upto 40 people in matches there has to be a question on how well lag is handled because it all depends on the connecction we have to the server

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

No, I agree with you.

I just consider it funny, because I remember for a long time on the Dreamcast/PS2/etc getting a solid 60 fps was this great feat of programming, whereas 30fps was 'only halfway'.

12. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Yeah they said in an interview a while back that it does run in 720p as they wanted to make sure they had a solid frame rate all the way through.

I really hope it is chop free because that really ruins things for me. A few times in GoW I have experienced some choppiness when playing Co-Op with my friend and it was annoying, especially because it is a shooter. Thank goodness it was short lived though.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I told you so.....I've been saying this for days now. Well if I don't get the PS3 at launch at least I'll have RfoM to play on my friend console.

Well needed game for the PS3.

Bless

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

But would you want to play a FPS game with a DualShock (SIXAXIS) controller and it's terrible analogue sticks? They (the 'lose' sticks) made Killzone totally unplayable for me - but that was no bad thing, terrible game.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Not longer Dualshock..as there is no "shock":p

But point taken, I can't stand the low analogue sticks(the feel on it on PS1/2 contollers)and when systems now use the analogue stick much more then the D-Pad...I don't know why Sony didn't switch their D Pad and stick.

I can see why nintendo is using a high D-Pad for the classic controller(might feel weird for N64 games, but I think only using on stick will be fine), as most games use the D-Pad for Virtual Console, but PS3 is mainly using the sticks.

16. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

must people complain about everything with the PS3? :p

The controller doesnt bug me, and a lot of others must like it as well or Sony would have changed the controller (much like xbox did)

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Thats how it is on these boards...you have to get use to it buddy. I haven't heard any complaints about the controller so until I get my hands on it I'm silent.

Bless

18. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Wow, 40 players online? Color me impressed.

Now to see if that's just Sony marketting hype or if people can actually have sustained 40 player matches...

Nice to read something positive about the PS3 for a change around here! :D