Resizing hard drive for installing Linux

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chokedamp, Sep 30, 2005.

1. chokedamp macrumors newbie

I've just bought my new iBook on tuesday and I'm trying to install Linux (I need to have it for university work). I need to resize the hard drive (after making a backup, of course) but as I've seen on some threads there's no way to do it unless I buy some programs. I've tried "iPartition" but it doesn't lets me doing it. Does anyone knows another good program to use or how can I make it work?

2. Bear macrumors G3

The iBook should have come with 1 or 2 DVDs which will restore the system to as shipped by Apple. Back up any data you may have, boot off of the first DVD and you can partition the drive from there. Or follow the Linux installation directions to partition the drive.

3. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

1. Back-up all of your data
    2. Boot from the Tiger/Panther/CDs that came with your iBook.
    3. Open up the partitioner, format the drive. One slice for OSX (mac extended), and the rest as free space. Install OSX.
    4. Boot using your Linux install CDs/DVDs.
    5. Partition you drive using the free space you left. Give most for your ext3/2 main drive, some for swap, and 1MB for the bootloader.
    6. Install Linux.

Hopefully this wasn't explained to brutally, as it is 1:20 here where I am...

llama :)

P.S: what distro are you installing?