resizing photos in Apple Works

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chris Walsh, May 30, 2005.

1. Chris Walsh macrumors newbie

Hi I am just dipping my toe in printing photos from home, so here is my situation. I got some 35mm film developed and had it put to cd. Those cd jpegs are huge files, and I want to print them out at home on 4" X 6" photo paper. But I can't seem to figure out how to reduce the image size but keep the image quality approximately the same. I try to scale the image down but it doesn't keep the proper ratio of height to width, and when I try to scale by % other than 50, it skews things weird. This seems like a pretty simple concern, since it's something millions of people would want to do, but I am stuck. I have a Canon Pixma iP3000 printer which I just got, and I have been through it's help info but haven't found anything. Can anyone help?! Thank you!

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I dont think appleworks is your best choice to do what you want.....have you tried iphoto or graphicconvertor or photoshop elements?

in appleworks if you have selected an image and are dragging the corner to resize, hold down the shift key and it will keep it all in proportion

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I would think iPhoto would be your easiest way to do what you want. It can print at whatever size you want.

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

as said above - dont use apple works - you need to use something like iphoto, photoshop etc.

if you dont have any of them and dont want to spend any money on a programme, im sure you could try "the gimp" its free but will need x11 installing from the os installation cd or off apple's site.

a quick google search will find what you need!

5. Chris Walsh thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I will try this in iPhoto, I had done some resizing in Apple Works (just for some web pics) and that worked ok, but not for this job (where I actually want quality). Thanks again!

6. RacerX macrumors 65832

A great app for this type of thing is ToyViewer... it is one of the oldest Mac OS X image apps (along with TIFFany).

Best of all... it is free!

7. Chris Walsh thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, well I've gone through everything I can think of in iPhoto, but no luck. I brought in the huge original photo, chose 4" X 6" in the edit page, did a print preview which seemed like it would fit on the 4" X 6" paper, but when I printed what I actually got was about 1/5 of the photo. I can't find any other menu option that lets me "shrink" this huge image down to 4X6 to print. I also did a search in the iPhoto help section, but no luck. Help! Can iPhoto do this or not? Thanks again...

8. Chris Walsh thread starter macrumors newbie

Limited success! I found a pull down menu on the Print page that allowed me to choose sizes. So I printed as a 3 X 5, only cause when I previewed it as this size its orientation matched the way the paper fits into my tray. When I previewed as a 4X6 (the size I really wanted to print) the orientation was off by 90 degrees to the way I need to load paper. So the 3 X 5 printed ok (with a giant border since it's on 4X6 paper) but when I printed as a 4X6 it only gave me less than half of the pic (cause the orientation was wrong). Is there a way to correct the orientation? I tried rotating the image then going to the print page again, but it seems that anytime I pick 4X6 no matter how I have oriented the pic it wants to layout the photo in the orientation that doesn't match my printer tray.