Resolution Confusion

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Aciddan, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Aciddan macrumors member

Guys,

I just checked out the Appleinsider forums - they had a thread on hi-res screen resolutions for new powerbooks:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29755

Interestingly, I have in the last two weeks been on a developer course. The friend I was sitting next to has a dell with a 1600x1200 UXGA screen and I am confused as to the resistance to ultra high resolution LCDs on the pro line. Here is my experience:

1. I am blind (conjectural) ;)
    2. at a very obtuse angle, I was able to see my friends monitor and even read the text!
    3. These UXGA monitors can be made to be as bright as (if not brighter) than my 14" iBook monitor
    4. it had a better viewing angle than my iBook.

Being a dev, I thirst after more on-screen real estate. I always thought 1600 (or 1920 on the widescreen) was too much, until I saw it in action first hand.

What reasons do you belive Apple will/will not bump resolutions in their pro line? I think they should (or at least make it a BTO option) because I think it's something a lot of prosumers want and would find useful.

Thoughts?

-- Dan :D

2. AngryAngel macrumors regular

Higher resolutions don't make the screen brighter of have a greater viewing angle.

Hi-res screen are more expensive (which is why they often are brighter/have better viewing abgle, as they are newer/better technology).

As Mac OS X doesn't let you change the text size of system fonts (as OS 9 and Windows do), I think it would be a struggle at times for some people to read some fonts on a 14" or 15" with 1600x1200.

3. airmac macrumors regular

yeah for some people and i am not listed that"s for sure. What i will never understand is what is wrong with a choice that you just adjust resolution by your personal standards. If 1280 x 854 is optimal 4u that"s fine, while others wish for more real estate especially with expose on the horizont and we all know os x is a little bulky. With 1600x1200 i would not need a second monitor for multi project stuff. A good example is photoshop or indesign, with tones of palletes...

but that's just me...