Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Does 10.8 allow the user to adjust the font sizes across the system, menu's etc.?

It's a much requested feature here in and in the Apple forums. With screens being higher resolution now some fonts are tiny.

Would be nice to be able to adjust the DPI settings, hope the feature is added in Mountain Lion.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
How will that affect adjusting font sizes?

For example, some find the 27" ACD fonts too small, others need an anti glare screen but don't like the small fonts the higher res screen produces.

That's what many of us are looking for an answer to.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Apple users have been wanting this for several years (not to mention improved/new file system, better graphics support incl. openGL 3.0, more advanced Finder etc.), and what do we get instead? Resume, autosave, versions, launchpad and a couple of "iOS apps" for OSX. Wow, great "innovation" Apple...
Not that Apple doesn't have great products, but I feel like they have been slipping in the OSX department the last couple of years.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Apple users have been wanting this for several years (not to mention improved/new file system, better graphics support incl. openGL 3.0, more advanced Finder etc.), and what do we get instead? Resume, autosave, versions, launchpad and a couple of "iOS apps" for OSX. Wow, great "innovation" Apple...
Not that Apple doesn't have great products, but I feel like they have been slipping in the OSX department the last couple of years.

^This. Spot on. I've been an OS X ADC member since 2002, and ever since the iPhone and iOS came out it has taken over Apple's focus. Heck, in 2007 Leopard was delayed as Apple moved OS X engineers to iOS as they dislike hiring more employees and would rather shift them around departments.

XServe gone, Final Cut Pro X should have been released as iMovie Pro as it still lacks many of the necessary features of Final Cut Pro 7, HFS+ was (at one time) rumored to be replaced with Sunsystems ZFS+ as it appeared in many of the Leopard beta's, the dedicated CCFL LCD lineup that was fantastic is replaced with a stripped down LED LCD iMac panel with little options for Mac Pro users, Shake was dropped almost immediately after it was acquired, Mission Control is god awful - I could go on and on.

It seems Apple with all its cash reserve couldn't care less about professionals who have made their living off OS X and are more focused on the Joe-sumer and fashionista's with iPhone's and MacBooks and iMac's. Try HD rendering on a top of the line i7 iMac. Good luck. Aside from the fact that two displays is standard for film editors, it would take days for that iMac to render HD content as opposed to my 12-Core Mac Pro.

Gone are the days when desktops and professional tools were Keynote focuses, welcome to the new Apple, where iPads rule and iOS is King. :mad:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Just as a side note which most of you probably already know, if font size in Safari bothers you (too small) on a high resolution screen, simply "command +" also under View -> Zoom In make everything a little bigger. You can increase it as many times as you want. Mail can adjust font sizes under preferences. No way to adjust menu bar sizes and everything else system related as far as I know. The Finder and Desktop can be adjusted however.

turbobass

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
Los Angeles
It seems Apple with all its cash reserve couldn't care less about professionals who have made their living off OS X and are more focused on the Joe-sumer and fashionista's with iPhone's and MacBooks and iMac's. Try HD rendering on a top of the line i7 iMac. Good luck. Aside from the fact that two displays is standard for film editors, it would take days for that iMac to render HD content as opposed to my 12-Core Mac Pro.

Gone are the days when desktops and professional tools were Keynote focuses, welcome to the new Apple, where iPads rule and iOS is King. :mad:
It certainly is a smarter business decision to put their focus here but insofar as the OS is concerned these hardware issues seem moot -- for me it's not too bad since all of my development could be moved to iOS or really just to a POSIX box anywheres...though I started off hating Lion I find Mission Control to actually be the "Spaces" I could never get into before, however stuff like Launchpad is such a ridiculous "let's make iPad desktop!" fail it makes me cringe. The parts of Lion that seem to be better are the interface choices that are "core" input device specific (keyboard, mouse) ... I just hope Apple keeps designing for people who don't want to pet their machines thousands of times to get everything done :)

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

System-wide autosave has saved my butt in a big way on more than one occasion. Lion included OpenGL 3.2, so you got your wish there and don't even know it. HFS+ is a very good file system and switching to ZFS+ wouldn't have done very much at all for the end user. These "iOS apps" are just a smart business move for Apple as they integrate iDevices better. I'm interested to see how that develops.

Apple is in the business to make money. They're doing a great job of it.

Final Cut Pro X should have been released as iMovie Pro as it still lacks many of the necessary features of Final Cut Pro 7

I want to comment on this specifically. Many of the complaints about FCPX are extremely similar to complaints made about FCP 1 when it came out. There were doomsday predictions about FCP 1 as well. There's so much complaining about FCPX that people are ignoring some of the really nice features about it (like how it is significantly faster than FCP 7).

the dedicated CCFL LCD lineup that was fantastic is replaced with a stripped down LED LCD iMac panel with little options for Mac Pro users, Shake was dropped almost immediately after it was acquired, Mission Control is god awful - I could go on and on.

What specifically do the LED LCD displays not do that the CCFL LCD displays did? I'm truly interested to know. Most of the technology in Shake has been integrated into FCPX and Motion. Mission Control is great IMO.

With all this "Apple couldn't care less about professionals" stuff going around, people like to forget that Macs have one of the fastest peripheral connections around: Thunderbolt. Seriously... get a PCIe rack connected via Thunderbolt and you could have all the professional cards attached to your 11" Air that you want. How many other laptop manufacturers can do that?

Try HD rendering on a top of the line i7 iMac. Good luck. Aside from the fact that two displays is standard for film editors, it would take days for that iMac to render HD content as opposed to my 12-Core Mac Pro.

Two displays might be standard for video editors (you don't edit film on your computer, that's not possible), but you can easily do 3 displays (including the built-in one) on the current iMac, so I'm not sure what your complaint is there.

There's no question the Apple's focus has shifted from the professional, or at least seems to have. But the Mac Pro hasn't been killed, and the XServe was never a huge hit anyway. Only time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.