Resolution independence question...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by psychofreak, Dec 9, 2006.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Hello, I (quite) recently convinced my grandparents to switch, and they made a great choice with the 20" iMac. I have helped them through all their problems except one; their eyesight is not great, and could not really see much. I made the dock bigger, and showed them how to increase text size in firefox. I ended up still changing the resolution to make things bigger, but this made things blurry.

This question really has two parts:
    i) Is there anything I can do to increase the default OSX text size (e.g. in Finder) and
    ii) Will Leopard's resolution independence sort out the blurriness, or have I got the point of that feature that people seem to rave about completely wrong.

Thanks in advice

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. Instead of rendering everything at the normal resolution and scaling the output it renders everything at the requested scale factor. Note that this means everything gets bigger, not just the text.

You can play with it by installing the developer tools and ramping the resolution in Tiger, although every app seems to have bugs in Tiger!

3. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Thank god. Even though they did not say anything, I could see that they were annoyed that they had paid so much for a computer, only to see it blurred. They like everything bigger, but having text only bigger would have been better than everything big and blurry.