Resolution issues with iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dfriis, Feb 1, 2007.

1. dfriis macrumors newbie

I recently had some photos off iphoto printed at a camera shop. The majority of them came back blurry. On asking the shop owner, he said that some of the photos had higher resolutions and some had lower. I'm not sure how I got both in iphoto as I have never changed any photos. Last week I dowloaded my iphoto library from my emac to my new mac book (yay). I used a back up disc. When I opened iphoto on my mac book I had double the amount of photos and some photos were even in triplicate. I am now totally confused as to which photos I shoulod keep and how this happened. Is is better to print a high or low resolution at a photo shop, and how do I know its resolution?
    Hope this makes sense.

2. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

When I've taken photo's from iPhoto on disc to get printed I've had problems, the software at the photo shop includes the thumbnails as well as the original image so, it looks like there are tow of the same image, one of which is low res, obviously.

Not sure if its related to you're issue...

3. dfriis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, It's a start to finding a solution. I know what you are talking about, that has happened to me also. My "Windows Friendly" photo man didn't seem too interested in offering advice to solve the problem, he just wanted to sell me the new Vista programme, funnt that.

4. copanewbe macrumors member

The same thing happened to me regarding the multiple copies of photos. I transfered all my photos onto my new mac, and then imported them to iphoto. I realized after that this application makes a copy of all the photos you import in another folder called "iPhoto Library". I think this is an auto feature that iphoto starts with. I'm assuming there is a way to access all your photos in iphoto without creating copies, but I just said the heck with it and stopped wasting my time/space with iphoto.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

All things being equal, high resolution is better. But it depends on the size photo you want. For smaller prints, it's okay to use lower-resolution photos.

The easiest way to find out if your resolution is high enough is just to click on a photo and select "order prints" from the "Share" menu. If the yellow caution symbol appears to a size, that means your photo is too low-res to print at that size. (you don't have to order from Apple--you can still just take it to your local photo shop)

You can find the resolution by clicking on the photo and clicking on the "i" button in the lower left-hand corner.

Once you've found hi-res photos to print, then drag them directly from iPhoto into the folder you want to copy them to. Don't go drilling into the iPhoto directories, which include lower-res photos for thumbnails.

As for the problem with different resolutions appearing in the first place, I suspect that was a problem with how you imported the photos. When I upgrade computers, I just connect them via firewire and let the system move all my files over. In your situation, you might try reimporting the photos manually by burning your entire library to DVD, then importing them into the new iPhoto.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As has been discussed quite a bit, it's the total number of pixels that matter the most, not the density of those pixels.

It is disturbing that iPhoto messes with the numbers. I played with iPhoto from time to time to see if I could use it and at the time, it had changed my 144 ppi photos to 72 ppi but did nothing else with them. It didn't change the number of pixels, just the way that they were perceived.

Professional organisations which sell photos often require 300 ppi or higher, but for most people that won't be an issue since they won't be taking professional photos.

If your camera store can't handle the photo files properly; perhaps, you should find another store to take care of you.