Resolution settings

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by BuZZ22k, Oct 31, 2002.

1. BuZZ22k macrumors member

I know I'm way behind on the tech here, but I only have one setting for resolution on my new(old) g3/266. OS 8.6

The res has only one setting and it's 1280x1024

Can this be changed?

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

i don't remember OS 8 much anymore, but is there an option for showing only recommended settings and all settings in the monitor control panel? Then just choose 'All settings' and you should be able to choose other options.. but that is if your monitor supports it. Maybe your monitor itself only supports that resolution.

And, on another note... GET OS X!!! :D

irmongoose

3. BuZZ22k thread starter macrumors member

I would but I'm not sure my g3/266 would run very well with it.

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

True, but at least you could get the latest OS 9. I have the exact same machine as yours and it's running OS 9 pretty well. Staying in Os 8 is a waste.. that machine has a lot more capabilities than you think.

BTW, did you sort out the resolution thing?

irmongoose

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Resolution settings

Possibly, possibly not. What type of monitor do you have on the machine? If its not an Apple you'd most likely have an adapter plug with dip switches for manually setting the resolution. I have one of these machines and that's what I had to do.

And to see the other resolutions you might want to use, hold down the command key when you open the monitor control panel. This might work, sorry, its been a while. And if I remember correctly, you won't be able to get 24bit color at 1280x1024 on the built in vidoe, you need to go to 1024x768. Your current res should only be 16bit color.

I put a voodoo3 video card on the old G3 and use that instead, avoiding the damn thing altogether, till I put an older second monitor on the built in video card and used it for ap pallettes and email.

D

6. spuncan macrumors 6502

Hehe I run OSX on the original 233 G3 w/ 640 megs of rams and the original Rage 2+ :eek: :eek: :eek: . Unfortunatly due to the old ram chip I can't upgrade to Jaguar (I've tried I can't find the chip and theres no way to update)
    BTW- I use Maya PLE, and Bias Peak 3 LE on it :D :D

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

We really need to know what kind of monitor it is. Multisynch monitors are a relatively new invention. Up until as late as 6 years ago a large amount of monitors being sold were still fixed resolution.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

How? I've got mine maxed on 192 megs of RAM (its only got 3 slots and it can only take a max of 64 per slot). I tried putting a 128 in there and it didn't work.

And I don't use it much for anything these days, except scanning, I've got to scsi scanners on it, slide and flatbed.

D

9. BuZZ22k thread starter macrumors member

The monitor is just a standard PC monitor. Prolly 3 years old.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's hard to say then if it is a multisynch. Also like previously said you are probably using an adaptor of some sort to use it. That adaptor probably limits you to one resolution even if it were a multisynch.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Pull the old factory (or download) spec sheets/users manuals for the monitor and the computer.

You need to choose resolutions and frequencies that both the monitor and the computer support.

And as stated, sometimes the VGA to apple display adapters sometimes had the nasty habit of locking in a display setting.

12. BuZZ22k thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I fixed it two ways. One I dl'ed a program called switchres that let me adjust the res. Then after reading what you guys put up here I look at the adapter on the plug and low and behold it had dip switches on it. So now I do not need this program swtichres. New problem for me is how do I uninstall it? I feel like such a dumbass with these questions, sorry guys.

13. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

well...probably just delete it...this aint windows bud ;)

i stand by what others have said...your computer is at LEAST fast enough to run OS 9 extremely well. I think you should do so.

14. BuZZ22k thread starter macrumors member

I'm getting 9 on monday. :) Friend has the disks. Will also be getting more ram soon.. found out it only has 64megs...

15. Choppaface macrumors 65816

wow OSX will actually start up and do stuff on a 233 g3? O_O

I used to have one of those and OS 9.x was a bit much for it. it seemed happiest with 8.6

16. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

That is if you leave it with only 64 megs of RAM... load it up with a little more and OS 9 runs just fine.

irmongoose

17. Choppaface macrumors 65816

i had >256 in it... it just kept crashing in 9.x for some reason. it's my mom's computer now, and she's pissed that she can't afford a new computer to run iphoto after seeing it on martha stewart. i guess I'll try putting jag on it for her then...but I was under the impression that it would be so slow that it would be unusable. though I consider OSX on my lombard unusable...

18. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I'm in the exact same situation as you.. haha.. that computer is now my mom's too. And she's angry because she doesn't have a newer computer!

Anyways, I dunno why it keeps on crashing, mine runs very well in 9. Have you done any maintenance recently? Maybe you need to do that...

If you have more than 256 you should be able to run Jag OK I guess.. but if you really want to use it you should get 640 like the other guy. It's all about the RAM.

irmongoose