Resolution v Ratio

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kettle, Jun 7, 2003.

1. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

When presented with a choice, which screen size would you choose?

a) 1280x1024
    b) 1280x960

It seems to me that 1280x1024 is the more common, despite 1280x960 being a 4:3 ratio.
    What is the tech/logic behind this?
    :confused:

2. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I actually wondered myself, because when i set to 1280x1024, type, geometric shapes seem stretched and I have to manually adjust the monitor. I have all my machines on 1280x960, because it gives me the better screen ratio. I guess it's one-upmanship from people to whom geometry doesn't matter (i.e. coders, writers, gamers). When I draw a cicle in illustrator and it looks like an oval, that is unaccaptable.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The Apple 17" Studio Display which has the 1280 x 1024 default resolution is not exaclty 4:3 ratio, which justifies the resolution.
    Problem with it though, if you're forced in using a 4:3 ratio resolution you'll find that it will not fill the screen.

4. kettle thread starter macrumors 65816

kettle

That's my point...

So when using the Apple 17" Studio Display, what happens to all the 4:3 ratio resolutions like 800x600 1024x768 1152x870? Why not specify some more 5x4 ratios?
    What I think I'm asking is ... is this down to the architechture/mechanics of graphic cards? what is the long and the short of 5:4 'vs' 4:3?
    :confused:

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Re: That's my point...

I have no idea why they have doen this. Especially when you think of the fact that the 1280 x 1024 is LESS "wide-screen" than 1280 x 960, which makes viewing of a DVD even worse...
    Just an example: Playing F1 2000 CS on such a display annoys me, actually. Seeing two black lines top and bottom makes you think there's something wrong with it. There is nothing wrong, but the game only supports 4:3 ratio settings.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This trend towards widescreen format monitors is great for watching DVD's but cuts into valuable screen real estate top to bottom. I can't deal with my dock on the bottom of the screen, it has to be on the side, since I can't afford to give up any vertical space. My PB runs at 1280 x 854 which is very nice, but many of us are used to squarish monitors that give you almost equal dimensions in both directions.

7. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Humans' field of vision is wider than taller - that's why we have widescreen movies and not portrait. i personally would prefer if all new marketed US TVs would switch to the 16:9 ratio used in new european tv sets. This should also be true for monitors IMO. 1600*900 would give you a 1024*900 px space for windows and 576*900 px space for palettes, etc.

Plus watching movies is just awesome on 16:9 - you can actually emerse yourself in them.

I hear the complaint about games not supporting various screen though - and as much as I hate control, there should be a new standard and manufacturers should stick to it. ¢2.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Well, if you want to get technical we have widescreen because movies were losing ground to TV so they stopped shooting 4:3 and started shooting wider formats to differentiate themselves from TV.

Also, I have to agree w/mactastic that widescreen is best for all uses. I have 2 17" monitors while I'm editing I almost always wish I had taller monitors because I keep have to scroll vertically thru my timeline and in my browers window when searching for clips. I have plently of horizontal space it's the vertical space I run out of. :(

lethal