Resolutions and screen sizes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Machead III, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Machead III macrumors 6502

Machead III

This is a very noob question but...

I'm thinking about getting a MacPro, and am looking at LCD screens on Froogle. Now, I last had an Intel iMac with a 17" screen, and a resolution of 1400x900, but the majority of all 17" LCDs seem to be at 1280x800. The only screens I can find at 14000x900 are 19".

Now, a 19" is fine, but if it's stretching that 1400x900 over a further 2 inches than my iMac, will I notice a significant decrease in picture quality? I plan on doing lots of graphic design and gaming, so this matters quite a lot to me.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

For normal use, such as the use i would put it through, I wouldn't really notice the difference unless i saw them side by side.

My guess is that the 17" display will be sharper, and depending on how picky you are, the 19" may be too blurry. The only way to tell is to see it and use it for a while :)

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Everything will just appear bigger on your 19" - you'll also be able to pick out the individual pixels easier.

4. wchong macrumors 6502

ditto. but for such a small difference the effects are largely unnoticeable

5. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

Hmm, so I could just increase the resolution output to the monintor to restore regular sizes, but the image sharpness would remain the same?

Would the difference in sharpness really be relatively unnoticable?

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You can't increase an LCD's resolution because it's a physical property - there just aren't any more pixels.

An LCD will only look good at the native resolution, any lower and it looks fuzzy and crap (until you hit the spot where the resolution of the output signal is 1/4 of the screen's native resolution - ie running a 30" cinema display at 1280x800 - because now 4 pixels are being used to display one pixel) so you're limited to the native resolution.

a 19" screen at 1440x900 will look pretty damn good. It might be a fraction less sharp than a 17" at the same res but nothing that's going to cause horrible problems.

7. swanny macrumors regular

swanny

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

He's replied to the wrong thread.