Resonable amount of RAM for iMac G5 (iSight)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wingsky, May 6, 2006.

1. wingsky macrumors member

I've had this iMac with stock 512MB for about 6/7 months now, and I'm getting a little impatent with loading times :) Well not just the loading times but the general sluggishness of working in OS X, such as opening the dashboard, flicking back and forth between Front Row and the desktop.

I keep Azureus on most of the time while I work on my iMac, and of course that is a resource hog aswell.

Anyways, I had a look on the Apple store for RAM prices... My eyes very almost fell out of their sockets when I saw the price for a 2GB stick.. 820GBP!! It's funny because at Crucial it goes for about 370GBP

I need to know, will there be any noticable difference between having a total of 1.5GB RAM to 2.5GB? Is it worth the extra expense?

2. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

Yea, I am sort of going to have to install another 1Gb stick in mine, but buy from Crucial. It has great quality and afforable prices. And from what I understand from your last sentence, you can't have a 2Gb stick in your iMac. you can only have up to 2Gb of RAM.

3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

In his iMac he can have up to 2.5 GB of RAM. 512 came soldered on while there is one open slot that can take up to a 2 GB chip of RAM giving a total of 2.5 GB of RAM.

In your situation I would just go for 1.5 GB of RAM. You should see a huge gain in performance while not loosing a lot of your money. I have 2 GB of RAM in my iMac and it flies. I can't imagine a huge difference between 1.5 GB and 2 GB.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

1.5GB of Ram sounds like it would be enough for you, but since you only have one slot for upgrading, I would personally buy the 2GB dimm. :)
    Either way you go, you should notice a nice improvement in performance.

A little bit of Ram goes a long way in helping out performance. :)

5. zorg macrumors regular