Respect For Fallen Heroes Act

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Airforce, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Spreading the word to those who care:

Petitions can be signed on his website www.mikerogers.house.gov or just go directly to http://mikerogers.house.gov/fallenheroes.aspx

A little bit about it on ABC video:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=1745653

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm all for organized protests against the mistakes made in this war, but funerals are not the place for them. Um... but are these protesters it reference the church people who are saying that God is killing our soldiers because we support homosexuality? It didn't really say, but it must be because I don't know any hippies who are blaming the soldiers for the war. If they did, they still shouldn't protest. I'm all for free speech, but that's just wrong no matter who does it.

3. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

I'm pretty sure they are the same. The ABC video link talks about it.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Thank you. I was getting a weird error message when I tried to play the video. My point would stand either way though.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't have a problem with bills like this. Funerals are not the place for protests, especially from that homophobic bunch of wackos.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just what we need, another stupid law to spell out for idiots whats right behavior and whats considered inappropriate. Why dont we have a law that just throws folks into jail for being stupid? Its a sad America indeed that needs laws like this. Protesting at anyones funeral is lowest of lows, i have to wonder whats next and what stupid law will follow.:confused:

7. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I'd have to agree with Don't Hurt Me.
    It seems like a big waste of time over some ethically challenged people.

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Where did I read (maybe even in this forum?) about how we've come to the point that there's no in-between anymore. The options for dealing with protesters at a funeral have come down to either putting up with their terribly bad manners or calling the police.

The author's suggested solution involved a few well-placed fists and boots. And when the police show up at the request of the protesters, their suggested response to said protesters would be "What did you expect?"

The point being that there's little room for gray anymore. It's either the cannon or the flyswatter. Where did our common sense go?

9. iGary Guest

iGary

So where were the cries for legislation like this when Matthew Sheperd and Corretta Scott King's funerals were being protested by the same creeps?

Talk about double standards.

In any event, they should be allowed to act like asshats if they want, but why a military funeral deserves more respect than any other person's (and requires legal action) is beyond me.

How about a "Respect for Human Beings" Act?

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

I was just thinking the same thing. Why must it specifically refer to "fallen heros?" Quite frankly, I think it's somewhat insulting. And sad that it's become necessary in the first place.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think that it's more likely to pass under this context, but I think it should be extended to all funerals. Otherwise, yes, it's saying you can't protest at a military funeral but you could, say, at one for a fireman killed in the line of duty. Or that of a child. Or someone who was gay, black, an activist, etc.

I agree that this should be part of a larger law, not an explicit law for military funerals. I think we need fewer laws instead of specific ones for every permutation of events - which is why I'm opposed to sexual harassment laws, because I think it's all covered by plain old harassment laws (and don't even get me started on how often those laws are abused).

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As much as I hate Phelps and those like him, I'm on your side DHM. We don't need any more laws like this.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

I think they should be able to protest if they want to. It's the price you pay for free speech - but they should not be able to ruin the ceremony, however that has to be stated legally to make it happen.

That's not saying that I wouldn't open fire on them with an automatic rifle if they protested Rob's funeral, but that's just me. :D

14. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

I figured this would go off like this since it involved military. Glad I put it in the right forum. :rolleyes:

-----

Exactly y'all. A line needs to be drawn and a funeral is A OK with me being that line where it stops.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Do you think people here are anti-military?

Milosevic was buried a few weeks ago and there were huge protests at his funeral and rightly so. I think banning protests at the funeral of common soldiers is fine, but banning protests at the funerals of public officials or private individuals whose lives were controversial is wrong. If people choose to live in the public sphere, they should be afforded no special treatment upon their deaths.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Excuse me? I demand an apology from you right now. My cousin is in Iraq. Several of my friends have been over there too. How DARE you! Just because I'm against this law does NOT mean that I like Fred Phelps and his ilk or think they should be protesting at a funeral. Quite the contrary- he's a horse's ass.

17. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

A few are anti-US military I've noticed in a few post, yes. More of an anti-american vibe though. Not pointing anyone out specifically.

I'm not sure where I fall on that. :(

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the reason i'm so anti-bush is because i love my country. i hate what's being done to it and in its name.

make the distinction.

19. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Not a Bush fan either. I can easily make the distinction.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

EXACTLY- Airforce, you need to get over it. No one here is anti-American that I know of. But just about everybody is anti-Bush.

21. iGary Guest

iGary

Even right leaning loonies like me.

22. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

;)

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, that is an important distinction to make. I don't think anyone here has ever been anti-soldier except of course in cases like Abu Ghraib. Anti-US military policy is another thing altogether. The incompetence shown by the US military when it came to post war Iraq deserves no apologists and I hope you aren't one of them. Peacekeepers and warriors are two different things and the appalling civilian death toll in Iraq only proves that the US military is simply out of its league.

24. aquajet macrumors 68020

Who qualifies as anti-American anyway? Bin Laden? Hugo Chávez? Is there anybody here within that company?

25. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

The US military and peace keeping are mutually exclusive phrases.
    I do agree that protests should be kept away from all funerals, military or not .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.