Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Hello, I've tried search for this but came up short. Q is what is better for a lcd monitor as in "Response Time"? The one in question (Sony) has a response time of 12 and the other (LG) had 8 so I'm not sure which number is the better factor. I won't be doing much gaming, just cartoons with flash and some photo editing. Thanks for the help ahead of time :)

quixotic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Yes but...

Faster does not always give better results, there's usually a trade off for faster response time. Make sure you aren't sacraficing brightness, contrast and color accuracy for a speed difference you're not likely to see in your situation.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
quixotic said:
Faster does not always give better results, there's usually a trade off for faster response time. Make sure you aren't sacraficing brightness, contrast and color accuracy for a speed difference you're not likely to see in your situation.

I second that. There won't be that big of a difference between 8 ms and 12 ms. BTW, ms stands for millisecond.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If it's a TN panel rated at 16ms or less it won't be 24-bit true color, but 18-bit color plus dithering.

Your best option is PVA or S-IPS @ 16ms. Those are 24-bit.

Anyway, what the response time means varies. It's usually "gray to gray".

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I would go with the Sony LCD. Why? Because putting money into a product from Sony is usually a good investment-Sony products tend to be well built and last for a long time.

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
Lower response times are preferable. My NEC LCD has a response time of 16 milliseconds which is quite enough. Apart from gaming, this specification is very important when it comes to video playback, particularly DVDs.

However, since you seem to be more focused with flash and regular graphics, I wouldn't worry about shooting for the lowest possible response time.

As an aside, response times, or "refresh rates" as they are technically referred to, is the amount of time it takes for an LCD monitor to send a signal from the upper left most pixel to the lower right most pixel and then send it diagonally back up to the upper right again. The movement is done in rapid horizontal lines and ends at the bottom right pixel and is subsequently shot across the diagonal of the screen. This time last year, most LCDs had refresh rates of about 22-25 ms; I was lucky to find a good deal on my 16 ms NEC monitor.

So it seems Murphy's Law may still be applicable to the LCD market.

Also make sure you check out the monitors in a side by side comparison. The quality of the picture is unique to each display, as well as the brightness and contrast possibilities. If you're going to a BestBuy or CompUSA, remember that the signal is being split over dozens of monitors and is therefore going to appear significantly less satisfying than it will be when your computer sends one pure signal to it.

RAS admin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Berkshires, Mass.
cube said:
Anyway, what the response time means varies. It's usually "gray to gray".

True, some manufacturers use "black to white" instead of "grey to grey" to measure response time, which is unfair. It takes longer to go from "grey to grey" then it does going from "black to white".

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
RAS admin said:
True, some manufacturers use "black to white" instead of "grey to grey" to measure response time, which is unfair. It takes longer to go from "grey to grey" then it does going from "black to white".

I think that the cheaters are the "gray to gray".

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Artful Dodger said:
Thank you for the replies it will help out and as I see there are a few other things to look into :)

Two very, very good LCDs to look into are the Formac Gallery Xtreme 2010 and the 1900 (http://www.formac.com). These have excellent specs and 15ms response time and aren't expensive. They aren't the 8ms or 12ms, but you get color accuracy and it is extremely well lit -- consistent brightnes from top to bottom, left to right and from corner to corner.

I have had the 2010 for about 1.5 - 2 years and I haven't seen anything on the market even come close to the clarity/quality of this panel.

Have fun researching and more fun buying and using!!

Take care,
Quark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.