Restart Leads to Major Malfunction

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SteveAbootman, Mar 27, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

This doesn't look good...

My 2008 Dual Core iMac that's had no previous hardware issues has apparently reached the end of it's life. I restarted it last night and was greeted with something that reminded me of the 8 bit Nintendo days. Wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar looking screen and what steps I might take to fix this, or at least recover some of my files. Most are backed up but I'd really like a working computer again.

Things I've thought might be able to fix the problem that I'm planning on trying when I get home:

1) Swapping out the upgraded RAM I put in about 3 months ago with the stock RAM that came with the machine.
    2) Figuring out a way to run a Boot CD (is there a Mac equivalent to Knoppix?) and try to recover the Hard Drive
    3) Pray

Anything I could be missing here? If not, looks like I'm in the market for a new Mac.

(Note: The error message just says I need to restart the computer, which obviously doesn't solve the problem. The message is then repeated in different languages.)

Attached Files:

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried simply restarting it again? If you get a screen that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    It's called a kernel panic. If it doesn't happen again, or very infrequently, you don't need to worry about it.
    If it does happen again, this may help:

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Looks like some good resources. I'll check them out. Thanks!

I tried restarting 3 times last night, each time with the same unfortunate result which led me to believe the hard drive became corrupted. On 2 of the 3 restarts I unplugged all peripherals I had plugged into the machine as well to see if that made a difference.

4. macrumors 603

"Swapping out the upgraded RAM I put in about 3 months ago with the stock RAM that came with the machine."

DO THIS FIRST.

What happens next?