Restart Pop-Up---Explanation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HardHatMac9, Sep 1, 2004.

1. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    I was using my Powerbook (see config below) and all of a sudden a box appeared in the middle of my screen asking me to restart my computer by holding down the power button for two seconds then powering up again.

The english text was also listed in a few other languages.

My computer seems to be running o.k. now. Should I be worried? Anything to keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance.
  2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA

That's called a kernel panic.

Be wary of them. If it happens often you may either have a software or hardware conflict in your machine.

I had a similar situation where I would get panics intermittently after every few restarts. After reformatting, reseating RAM and Airport cards, and a Hardware Test saying it was OK, I found out I had a bad logic board... which I had suspected in the beginning. So keep a good eye out for panics.
  3. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    It actually happened when i was running MSFT Media Player. Perhaps it was a Mac and PC disagreement.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be aware of anymore in the future.
  4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    I have had 2 in the last 6 months. They just happen. No need to worry unless they happen constantly.