Restart time doubled with Tiger? Much slower!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Apple!Freak, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I've had very few problems with my Tiger install although doubled restart time is one of them. It's not too big a deal considering I restart less than three times a month but any ideas?

Also, the HD icon on my desktop under the name says "148.93 GB,.... 24 GB free". How can I get the ... out of there and make it display the full name? Any ideas? Thats pretty annoying considering I look at my desktop every 5 minutes. I like it clean! :)

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I would disagree. Tiger is starting about 75% faster than Tiger. The mac slash screen only appears for a mere 3 seconds on my machine.

As for your icon question: Try changing the font size in the Finder's options. Otherwise, I thing this is just a bad trait os Mac OS and Unix.

3. Dave Marsh macrumors regular

Finder View Options

The size of the volume/folder and remaining space being displayed is a Finder View Option. Go to View Options and uncheck "Show item info."

4. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

I tried messing around with the icon sizes and I got nothing. I changed the text size to the smallest (10) and it stayed the same.

I changed the text size to 11 and wala! The problem is fixed if you set the text size to 11 for some reason. All other sizes won't give the wanted result.

Thought I would let you guys know.

5. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Strange, because when I restart I get a blank black screen for about 30 seconds before anything happens. Then I get the white start up screen for 60 seconds or more and than the rest of the startup until I get to my desktop takes another minute. Total restart takes me about 160 seconds. Before Tiger I was doing around 90 seconds.

6. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

i've heard that large amounts of fonts cause the slow start-up but wasn't this fixed in 10.3.9?

anyway... my ibook G3 starts up faster than your imac ;) :D

7. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Heh, yeah. Well at least its better than my 6 minute restart PC. Ha-ha.