Restarting technology to get it going again – a fact of life...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 23, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

I hate it when IT tells me to reboot my machine. If the company car had to be pulled over on the side of the road and had to be turned off and "rebooted" the company would get it fixed or buy a new car.

3. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Restarting is just so that any junk that has accumulated since the machine was last switched on has been removed. Any bugs that appear like that are also very difficult to remove. Its unfortunate that its required with computers, but it is really a fact of life, especially with a cutting edge device like the iPod Touch.

4. macrumors 68000

4God

I dunno, didn't Han Solo have restart the Millenium Falcon once or twice? :p

5. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

And if your computer were as simple as the car, then the analogy would hold. General Purpose computers (every consumer box made) not only are several orders of magnitude more complex in the processes running simultaneously, they're also tasked with far more varied things. Automotive processors aren't nearly as complicated, either; they're designed for a single set of repetitive tasks. Not to mention we've got the whole internal combustion/tires/seats/windshield/radio/heater/headlights thing down pretty well--we've been at it for over a hundred years.

6. macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Obviously, yes, this is correct, but average users and the most technically-minded ones "generally" want things to "just work". Rebooting is a pain that should go the way of Betamax (I'm glad they're working on that... :D)

7. macrumors regular

BackInTheSaddle

I had to reboot my iPhone a couple days ago. Sucks, but it's all part of digital life for now.