Restarting torrents?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Mala, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Mala macrumors 6502

Is it possible to pause and restart a torrent?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Certainly is.

If you're using the standard BT client, reopen the .torrent file, and when it asks for a save location, save it in the same place as the partially downloaded file, with the same name. When it asks if you want to replace the file, say "yes", and it should check the file then resume where it left off. To stop one, as far as I know just quit the program.

If you're using Azureus, which is much better, it has a full set of start-stop features, which seem to work quite well. Makes organizing finished downloads for seeding much easier, too.

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

fully support that,..azureus is the best torrent client...

4. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

I've just downloaded Azureus, but when I was setting it up it offered to test the chosen port, and came up with a NAT error. Whassat?

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

you would be using a router and it would be behind a firewall..hence it would have ports 6881-6889 closed...so the error..it wont affect anything much..except that you would get somewhat slow speeds...
    so if you are unhappy with the speeds, you can open the port on your router settings, also on your personal firewall..
    cheers

6. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

No router, I'm just using a computer and a wireless broadband connection.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

...which would be a router. That's why they usually call them "wireless routers".

Check the OSX firewall (System Preferences-->Sharing-->Firewall); if it's on (which is a good idea), open those ports.

But you'll still likely have to set up port forwarding on your wireless router; the manual should tell you how to do that from the router's configuration web page.

8. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, I understand! Sorry. The wireless broadband yoke plugs into my ethernet port, and I set it up on the Preferences' Internet section, using the numbers (IP, Default gateway, Subnet mask, DNS1, DNS2, SMTP server, Pop3 server) given to me by the provider. It started out fast, but has actually become pretty slow lately. But maybe that's because my feed is from the Guinness HQ in Dublin!

I don't know how to change any of this stuff to make it work better. How do I? Or do I need to?

I looked at the Preferences/Sharing/Firewall, and there is a list of things, all unchecked except for the last two. They are:

Personal file sharing
    Windows sharing
    Personal web sharing
    Remote login
    FTP access
    Remote Apple events
    Printer sharing
    iChat Rendezvous
    iTunes music sharing

Which of these is used by torrents, please?

9. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

none..
    click 'new', and then give the port number 6881..
    cheers

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Actually, you want to click "new" in that section, and open the *range* 6881-6889. Call that open port "Bittorrent" so you remember why you did it, make sure it's checked, and your firewall errors should be fixed.

I believe you'll still have to do port forwarding with your wireless router, though.

11. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks very much for these clear instructions.

How do I do port forwarding with my wireless router, please? To me, it's just a box with BreezeNET written on it and an ethernet line coming out one end and a coax to the aerial on the roof out the other!

12. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

I can tell u how i did it with my router:

1. To configure my router I have to open my browser (safari) and tip in the ip of my router (f.e. 192.168.1.1) this ip I found in the manual of the router.

2. Then I see a menu. I search SUA/NAT and click on it.

3. Now I can set a port number and a ip adress. The ip Adress must be the one of you mac (system -> network -> tcp/ip -> ip adress).

f.e. your ip adress: 192.168.1.33 <- this one
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    router: 192.168.1.1

hope i could help u a little.

Dave

13. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm. I didn't get a manual with the router, because it came with the broadband connection - a couple of lads turned up, put the aerial on the roof, set up the router, said: "Oh, a Mac? We don't know anything about Macs, sorry", gave me the numbers and I put them into my internet prefs, then they tested the connection, and off with them.

All the router says on it is BreezeNET, and "Power In" and "Power Out"!

14. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

hmmm

1.Perhaps other Macroumors Members haven a solution for your problem.:rolleyes:

2.I found this. But it´s for windows only.
    Do you have a pc or a friend with a windoze laptop ? Then u can use it to configure your router. :(

3.Try http://192.168.1.1/ perhaps it works... :eek:

Dave

15. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

And by the way, Dave, do you mean that you configure the router through your browser? Or do you mean that you search in Finder and use a menu there?

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Most routers are configurable through any Web browser - Mac, PC, whatever (I haven't tested Lynx or other text-only browsers, but I have had success using Safari and other Mac browsers to configure my router). To access the router's configuration page, type its IP address into the address field of your web browser and login to the router using the username and password supplied with the router.

17. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried the numeric website and it couldn't load; I also downloaded a BreezeNET manual and tried loading the default IP address given, and that wouldn't load in Safari.

I wasn't given a password and userID with the router, unless they would be my password and userID for my wireless broadband ISP.