1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Restore Discs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Des Zac, Aug 9, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Will apple still send restore discs, (I think that's what they are called, the grey discs that are system specific) For PPCs? If so I have some questions:

#1: Are they free other than shipping?

#2 How far back (OS wise) will they go/ Whats the oldest computer they will sell the restore disc for?

#3 Are they reusable? As in could I buy five imac g3s and use the same restore disc for all of them?

#4 Could I order every one and keep them for if I need them or do you have to have proof that you own the product?

Thanks, this info will be a big help.

-Zach

2. macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I lucked out when I got a PowerBook G4 off of a boss who had no restore disc. I took a chance and spoke to Apple about it. They said they'd send the original disc that came with it. About 3-5 business days later I received a Tiger installation DVD. It was just a generic DVD that looks like they burned it right then and there. I was rather surprised.

3. macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I believe so.

I don't know.

If you had more than one of the same Mac and they all had shipped with the exact same hardware and OS, yes you could, but I believe it's a violation of the Terms and Conditions.

I believe you need the serial number of the Mac.

4. macrumors regular

Okay thanks, that answers almost everything, but I still want to know what the farthest back restore disc is : /