Restore from backup or New install?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chrysos, Mar 16, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

While I'm sitting here waiting for Fedex I am cleaning up Itunes and I was wondering if it is better to restore from a backup of my ipad 1 or set it up as a new ipad. My gut tells me its better to set up as new.

Any experiences with the restore from backup out there?

2. DS3
    macrumors 6502a

Ive never heard of it making any difference, this isn't windows ME or anything.

I restored rather than check through which apps I want and set up folders and settings all over again. No problem here.

3. macrumors 6502

iMaven

I don't want to restore from my old iPad. I want to set it up as a new iPad then configure it and add a lot of the Retina Apps.

4. macrumors 6502a

I restored two new iPads from backup and it went perfectly.

Much easier than organising everything again.

5. G77
    macrumors regular

Restore of course. I restored for all my subsequent ios devices and it always worked great. You can restore directly from icloud...

6. macrumors 604

ZBoater

I have 21GB of apps and there is no way I am recreating all those folders. Restore for me. Going on 5 hours now....

7. macrumors member

well, my plan was to do a backup install. i did it, and it didn't go as quickly or as smoothly as i'd hoped. the big issue is that i have to redownload all my music from the cloud. i had hoped to avoid this, because i DON'T have unlimited internet (no choice where i live in alaska) and didn't want to use all my data on stupid music that i'd already put on an ipad once before. i tried to add music back via itunes, however it would not let me...telling me i had to use the cloud. so, i am now in the process of just starting over and hoping it works out. :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

at first i was gonna set up as new but just now decided on restore from back up

this thing is sick right away i noticed how incredibly sharp my background was

9. macrumors 65816

master-ceo

After much self debate, I setup as new. I'm going to have to use the hell out of file explorer to get the data I want in my apps though. :(

10. macrumors 604

ZBoater

So you are not restoring from backup because....? :confused:

11. macrumors regular

K4LK

Setting up as new is way too much work. Restore from backup works great. Suggestion: remove all the big videos before you backup, otherwise iTunes will put them all on the new iPad (making you wait to play).

12. macrumors 6502

Just uncheck the box to sync with your computer

13. macrumors 6502

Swampthing

I have over 30GB of apps, and it only took about 1 hour by doing a Restore from iTunes. Learned my lesson before with iPhone, it is much faster than restoring from the iCloud.

14. macrumors 604

ZBoater

Argghhh, and NOW you tell me! :eek:

I'm down to my last couple of apps, 5 1/2 hours in. Sheesh...

15. macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I was anxious to use the new beast. :D If it gets to overwhelming to transfer my data, I might let it restore overnight though.

16. macrumors 604

ZBoater

Yeah, right? I probably should have done the same... :eek:

17. macrumors member

The thought of doing a 'fresh install' of an ipad never even crossed my mind. We aren't in the windows world.

18. G77
    macrumors regular

Exactly! I dont know why is somebody even thinking about it...

19. macrumors regular

Forced simplicity. Doing a fresh install for me was a way to really think about the apps I use and whether to bring them to the new iPad.

Like a lot of things in life, the 80/20 rule rules!

20. macrumors 6502a

Ayemerica

Restore from backup, prevents a lot of headaches for me.

21. macrumors 604

ZBoater

This is a good point. I have sooooooo much crap on my iPad I could have used a fresh install.

Oh well, it's almost done now. Maybe for the new New iPad.

22. G77
    macrumors regular

Well, you lose setup and data for apps you use... I am just ruthlessly deleting crap i dont use.

23. macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I agree! I thought about setting up as a new iPad, but it would be more time consuming in the end.

24. macrumors member

OK, so if I restore from backup will I be able to then rename the new Ipad to keep it distinct from the old one. We are keeping our Ipad 1, which will go to my wife. For initial setup of the Ipad 3 I like the simplicity of just doing from a backup. But going forward the contents of the two will be different and I don't want them to sync identically re apps, etc.

25. macrumors 6502a

How to rename your device(s)

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT3965