Restore Icons to default

Discussion in 'macOS' started by clasicks, Jul 5, 2006.

1. clasicks macrumors member

anyone know how to revert all my icons to the default X ones

i tried selecting them and deleteing them, and they are gone, but they are still showing up custom in my dock....

2. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Right-click where the ACTUAL app/file is (not a shortcut or dock icon), click "Get Info," click the icon at top so it's got a blue glow around it, then hit cut (command-X or edit->cut, doesn't matter).

For your dock, you may need to re-add them to the dock, I forget.

:)

There are a few apps that will change your icons system-wide, but if they're not common apps (like WoW or Adium won't be changed, for example, but the iLife apps will) it won't work.

3. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

4. jwloach macrumors newbie

Restore System Icons

Hi!

This seems to work. Create a new temporary user account with admin privs. Maybe call it 'temp'. Login to temp and you'll see the default system icons in Finder. Go to the Shared folder (BootDiskVolume/Users/Shared) and create four new empty folders for Music, Movies, Documents and Pictures. Go back to temp's home folder and GetInfo on the Music folder. Highlight the small Music icon at the top left of the GetInfo window (treble clef), and click Edit/Copy. Go to the Shared folder, GetInfo on the empty Music folder, highlight the generic icon at the top left, and click Edit/Paste. The treble clef icon should appear.

Repeat this for all of the four empty folders in the Shared folder.

Now log back in as yourself. Go to the Shared folder and GetInfo on the empty Music folder. Highlight the treble clef and Edit/Copy. Now go to your home folder and GetInfo the Music folder. Highlight the generic icon in the top left and Edit/Paste. The treble clef icon should appear.

Repeat for all four system folders.

To get them into your sidebar, drag the old custom sidebar icons out, and drag the new ones in.

I hope this works for you! It drove me nuts for a while.

John