Restore ipod touch to 4.3.3

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MacDaddy80, Jun 8, 2011.

1. MacDaddy80, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

macrumors member

i wanted to ty out ios 5 but its buggy and i dont like it. how can i restore it to ios 4.3.3 i downloaded the 4.3.3 ipsw file and still no luck what should i do? it says device isnt eligible for requested build what can i do?

2. macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

I wish I had some information for you since my iPod (3rd gen) won't even get to 4.3.3… I've been unable to upgrade since it first came out a few weeks ago.
    Attached is what pops up every time I click Update, as well as what MacDaddy80 is receiving I'd assume.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Also, the filename of the '.ipsw' file is iPod3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore, which appears like that is the correct file and build for my particular iPod, yet I get that message.

Attached Files:

3. ESPN, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

macrumors regular

delete...

4. macrumors 6502

msjones

Have any of you used TinyUmbrella on your computers. You sometimes get this when there is an entry in your hosts file redirecting the server that signs apples firmwares. You need to remove the line that contains gs.apple.com from your hosts file. They can be found at:

Mac: /etc/hosts
    Windows: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Also some people have suggested putting your device into DFU mode then doing the restore.

5. macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Thank you msjones!!!

That worked. I wasn't sure how to go about doing so, but after about 15 mins of looking around online I figured out everything I needed to do. :) My iPod is backing up as of right now before it installs the new software. Do you happen to know if blocking out the 'xxx.x.x.x gs.apple.com' line will cause any problems later down the line? Granted I'm sure that Lion will probably overwrite the file when we can update in a few weeks, but I'm just trying to head off any problems before they arise. Thanks again for the help.