Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
I believe my 2011 MBA download OS from the server if i want to restore right?So after Mountain Lion install, if i want to Restore my MacBook Air how will my MacBook Air know whether to download Lion (came with the system) or Mountain Lion (upgraded OS) for the restore?

Thanks

bigbird888

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Singapore
I upgraded 4 machines. Out of the 4, only 1 could still access its time machine archive. I did the following to fix the remaining 3:
1. Stop time machine
2. Go to the top-most Library folder (not the one in the home folder)
3. Open the Preferences folder
4. Locate the plist file: "com.apple.TimeMachine.plist"
5. Move this file to the Trash and Empty the Trash
6. Repeat step 4 and 5 for "*.TimeMachine.plist"
7. Re-start the Mac
8. Start time machine

I believe my 2011 MBA download OS from the server if i want to restore right?So after Mountain Lion install, if i want to Restore my MacBook Air how will my MacBook Air know whether to download Lion (came with the system) or Mountain Lion (upgraded OS) for the restore?

Thanks

SpoekGTi

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
The Netherlands
I upgraded 4 machines. Out of the 4, only 1 could still access its time machine archive. I did the following to fix the remaining 3:
1. Stop time machine
2. Go to the top-most Library folder (not the one in the home folder)
3. Open the Preferences folder
4. Locate the plist file: "com.apple.TimeMachine.plist"
5. Move this file to the Trash and Empty the Trash
6. Repeat step 4 and 5 for "*.TimeMachine.plist"
7. Re-start the Mac
8. Start time machine

Nonetheless this is not what he asked. He is wondering that if he has MBA 2011 which came with Lion pre-installed and has the internet recovery option. Now that he has upgraded to Mountain Lion, will the internet recovery install Lion again or will it install the Mountain Lion OS.

I think the Mountain Lion one, since Lion is pulled from the Appstore also, i am wondering myself also btw.

Last edited:

bigbird888

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Singapore
You are right. My bad.

Nonetheless this is not what he asked. He is wondering that if he has MBA 2011 which came with Lion pre-installed and has the internet recovery option. Now that he has upgraded to Mountain Lion, will the internet recovery install Lion again or will it install the Mountain Lion OS.

I think the Mountain Lion one, since Lion is pulled from the Appstore also, i am wondering myself also btw.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Thanks

As long as the current drive is present with the Mountain Lion Recovery HD, it will boot to that partition and install Mountain Lion. If that partition is busted or gone (like with a new drive), you machine will boot from the firmware (EFI) based Internet Recovery, and that will get you Lion since your serial number in the EFI is tied to Lion.

To avoid this double download situation should your drive ever die, you should make yourself a 1GB Mountain Lion Recovery Disk using this tool from Apple. So if your drive dies, you can boot from this 1GB USB key and then download and install Mountain Lion.

Jester888

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Singapore
Automatic EFI 1.7 upgrade?

Apologies if this has been answered already - thanks to this thread though I have my new WD Scorpio Black HDD working with with MacBook Pro 5,4 by rolling back to EFI 1.6

Before that I had all sorts of problems after I installed the new drive, being unable to erase / format the disk etc

My question is under what circumstances will EFI try to upgrade again to 1.7? I am running OS 10.7.4 at the moment, but if I upgrade will I have to manually go back to EFI 1.6 again? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.