Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
I had been having some problems with my MacBook, running Mountain Lion, being slow. I had a recent backup in Time Machine. I took it to the Genius Bar where they asked if they could reformat my hard drive, which I gave permission for. After that, I came home and restarted it and realized in the reformat they downgraded me Snow Leopard. I'd actually be perfectly content to stick with Snow Leopard after my experiences with the Lion family. However, my Time Machine backup was worthless in Snow Leopard, as the setup process just said it can't restore from a different version of OS X. Thus, I updated to Mountain Lion through the App Store. Unfortunately, when I plugged in my Time Machine drive I had stupidly made a backup with Time Machine of my laptop in it's current state. Not realizing this, I used Migration Assistant to restore from Time Machine. It just made another copy of the exact same account I was left with before. I navigated through the files on Time Machine and see the latest backup I have that's complete is there. How to I do a totally restore from then? I don't want to have to move files off one by one as I want everything, such as settings, back too.

miwako

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
I have the same question -- any advice?

I have a very similar situation and need to restore my system to an earlier backup of Time Machine. Any advice? Thanks in advance! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.