Restored Faith in People (A Lost iPod Story™)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Mal, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Mal
    macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    Wow. I'm am truly shocked by the actions of an unknown individual at my university today.

Sometime between 11:00AM and 1:00PM, as I sat in the university student lounge, which is on the top floor of the Student Union building, my new pants revealed a troubling problem that will have to be fixed: the cargo pocket on the right side does not latch closed properly. The problem? My iPod was in that pocket. Of course, unlatched cargo pocket + me sitting on a couch in a comfortable position = iPod falling out of pocket. Thus, my iPod ended up on, in, or underneath the sofa in the lounge sometime around 12:00PM (+- 1 hour).

Approximately 6 hours later, I realized what had transpired. I returned to the building, knowing that the iPod was in all likelyhood lost forever, but holding out that small glimmer of hope that kept me from simply sinking into a deep funk that I would never recover from. With a sinking heart, I headed for the information desk to inquire about the "Lost and Found" area.

Upon hearing that I had lost an iPod, the nice lady behind the desk suppressed a giggle at the thought that it might have actually been turned in, but soon after bit it back with a small gasp. Indeed, an iPod seemed to be on the list of items turned in, and after a little searching, my beloved "Heart of Gold" (as I have named my iPod) was returned to me through my desperate attempt and the kindness of a random stranger whom I will never meet.

I must say, I didn't think there was a person on campus who would have turned in the iPod, at least not other than the few friends I have, all of whom were accounted for at the time of loss. I know have a slightly renewed faith in the ability of a small subset of the human population to do the right thing.

Anyone else had that same feeling lately?

2. macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    Yup. I dropped my phone at school about a month ago and I saw someone grab it and run off with it. I just thought "oh $&#*" and walked away. Apparently someone saw him take it and turned him in and then I got called down to the office and there was my phone. :)
  3. macrumors 68000

Oct 6, 2005
    That is awesome...I love hearing stories like that. I wish the whole world would be perfectly honest. I would do all I could to get an iPod or any item back to the rightful owner if I found something that didn't belong to me. It is only right. Glad it all worked out for you:)
  4. macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I got out of the car with my cell phone in my lap the other night while picking up my daughter from a field trip. My wife went by the school the next day to look for it in the parking lot. When they didn't see the phone, they called the number and a lady answered. She was in a parking lot at Lowe's just a mile down the road with my cell phone. She figured someone would call the number looking for it and kept it after finding it. We gave her a reward even though she didn't ask for it.