iPad Restoring an iPad 1: Which OS Do I Get?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CoMoMacUser, May 8, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

I'm considering restoring my iPad 1 because performance keeps getting worse. I wish I'd never upgraded to 5.x because the additional features aren't worth the hit.

So I'd like to know which OS version I get after restore. Does it go back to the one that it originally shipped with and then prompt me to upgrade to 5.x? Or does it automatically pull down and install 5.x?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 65816

Mr_Brightside_@

It does this.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bummer.

I rarely empty my iMac's trash. Is that where the 4.x blob might be? If so, what's the name I should look for? I recall other threads that discuss how to downgrade if you have still have the previous version's blob.

Thanks.

4. macrumors 65816

Mr_Brightside_@

Blobs aren't stored locally unless you used TinyUmbrella. Did you? Are you saying you have blobs saved in some way for 4.x?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHSH_blob

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I thought they were moved to the trash rather than deleted permanently. My mistake. Thanks for clarifying.

6. macrumors G3

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, everyone.

8. macrumors 6502a

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I restored it, and it went a lot more smoothly than I expected. For example, I assumed that I'd have to re-enter all of my email account information, but iTunes put that back. Nice.

Memory freed up by at least 10 GB, but so far, no photos, videos, etc. appear to be missing. Is it possible that there was much crap taking up memory? If so, is that what was slowing down performance? So far, it does seem more responsive.

10. macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I still use my first gen iPad on iOS 5 and I've noticed that little slow down as well, but mine is jailbroken and I have a lot of stuff on it. I did notice however that it sped up just a fraction when I deleted a few apps and movies off of it. Keeping about a third of the storage space open seems to make it move a little faster.

11. Guest

Still running my iPad 1 on iOS 4.3.3.

The major features in iOS 5 like Notification Center and iCloud really slow it down.

12. macrumors regular

That's odd. My friend has an original iPad on 5.1.1 and his is working just fine.

----------

And yes, he does use iCloud.

13. macrumors 6502

Regarding freeing space: Deleting stuff in Settings/Safari/Advanced/Website Data helps... Sometimes Youtube and twitter data can be over 1mb

and Clear cookies might free up space

14. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have my iPad with me right now, but I thought that Safari's clear cache feature was taken away in 5.x.

15. Guest

Well on my bros iPad 1 that runs iOS 5.1.1 it works fine but iOS 4.3 is way faster.

Tested loading up safari, opening apps, etc.

256MB RAM just doesn't cut it.

16. macrumors regular

Yeah, obviously. I'm not saying 5.1.1 is faster than 4.3.x, but its quite fast. And yes, 256 MB doesn't cut it AT ALL.