Restoring backed up Home folder

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by BigDawgES, Sep 8, 2004.

1. BigDawgES macrumors member

BigDawgES

System was acting odd, beachball spinning for 3 minutes when clicking "get info" for any folder, freezing after running Coctail,

So I backed up my home folder using the unix utility "PsyncX" (to preserve permissions and such) and did a fresh install.

Now, I'm having a hellish time getting my entire user folder back into the new system.

Any tips to do it? And any tips on how to do this backup/restore process better in the future?

Thanks a bunch, all.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think the key is to use the same short user name as before. That solves a lot of problems. There's a knowledgebase article that goes into greater detail, but I'm not sure you need to go to quite these lengths.

If you're still having trouble, try creating a new user with the IDENTICAL account name as before, then deleting the old one and following the instructions in the kbase article.

EDIT: you probably don't want to restore most of your libraries--these may have been what was leading to problems before.

3. BigDawgES thread starter macrumors member

BigDawgES

Thank you

Thank you very much for your input--I think it's going to work.