Restoring iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LastLine, Feb 12, 2006.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    I'm looking to put my G4 iBook back to factory settings. Got all the disks, but need help with a complete wipe of all data and the like. Can anyone advise me where to look?
  2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    You simply use the disk and do Erase & Reinstall OS option on the disk. Something similar to do that. Check apple's site, I've seen instructions on there.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    To get started, you put the first restore CD or DVD in the drive, select the Startup Disk item from System Preferences, and then select this disc as the boot disc and click the restart button in the window. This is the most trouble-free way to boot off the disc (for some reason, not all macs respond to some of the other biggest challenge installing Tiger was to get my iBook to boot off the disc!).

When you get into the restore disc, follow through the options until you get to a window that has an options button in the lower left. Click on that, and you'll get the Erase and Install option. You can overwrite the disk one or more times, to "really" erase it, so that data cannot be recovered from it, but be forewarned that this will take a LONG time. A long, long time. Especially seven pass.

Good luck! :)