Restoring iMac to Factory Settings...How to?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AaronOcean, Sep 29, 2007.

1. macrumors member

AaronOcean

I'm helping a friend of mine (a non tech-savy friend) by restoring his Mac to factory settings. I'm not sure why, but what he wants is for it to be wiped clean, but first I'll transfer his media and docs to an iPod for safe keep while I clear it. It's an iMac from about 8 months ago, so Intel Mac OS X.4

How do I go about restoring the computer? Do I just use the install disks?

2. Retired

psychofreak

You use the install disk, choosing Erase&Install :)

3. thread starter macrumors member

AaronOcean

I know it's a Mac I'm dealing with and everything, but is it really that simple? :p

4. macrumors 6502a

itickings

Yes :p

See Apple's info about installation options. Erase and install completely erases the destination volume, then installs a new copy of Mac OS X.

If the intent is to not only erase everything and reinstall, but to make it impossible to recover any of the previous files from the drive, check How to Erase Your Macs Hard Drive Before Selling It (OS 10.4) out.

5. macrumors member

Firmware

Just for the complete picture:

If your friend is a "non-tech savy", he propably didn't do a firmware update, so an erase & install should bring it back to factory defaults. If he did perform a firmware update, it will not go back to factory defaults at the time he bought the Mac, but to factory defaults as he would buy it today.

[I just assume Apple gives their computers the latest firmware when they are produced