Restoring Iphone 4 Without Internet

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bobbyroller, Aug 24, 2010.

1. macrumors member

I was wondering if you can restore your iphone 4 without a internet connection? Is this Possible?

Bobbyroller:apple:

2. macrumors 6502

Sure.. you can restore the phone... however you will not be able to re-activate it... that's the issue.

The restore itself does not require the internet... but to re-activate the phone after the restore is complete you would need the internet.

3. macrumors 6502a

you need internet to restore the phone as iTunes contacts apple servers to check eligibility of firmware update etc

4. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that all I needed to know. I thought you could downgrade this was because I was wondering how all the people without Internet will be able to restore or "downgrade" their I4.

5. macrumors 6502

Just stroll to a wi-fi hotspot. If it's not a laptop, take it to a friend's house. You could also, in theory, restore it and activate it on another computer with iTunes.

6. macrumors 6502a

Apple changed the way you do firmware restores/updates etc where now you need to have an internet connection. I think they did this when the 3G came out. With the original iPhone you could just restore and/or upgrade from the file saved on your computer without internet connection. So, if you are on a trip somewhere and wont have access to a computer with internet access/iTunes try not to mess around too much to a point that a restore is needed cuz you'll end up with a brick until you can get to a computer with net access and iTunes.