Restoring iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac.fanatic, Nov 6, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

My iMessage stopped working and I want to restore my iPhone to factory settings and set up as a new device. If I restore and set up as a new device through iTunes, will it reset network settings as well? Are there any settings still left after I do a restore and set up as a new device?

Would I have any problems durin the restore?

2. macrumors 6502

Restoring and setting up as a new phone will leave no settings on the phone at all. If you want to retain network settings, or any settings, you'll have to restore from a back up.

My iMessages stopped working, along with FaceTime, a few days ago. All of a sudden they just started working again though.

Is your FaceTime disabled as well? This would indicate a problem with the phone interacting with the Apple servers.

3. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

If you restore as new, yes, network settings will be reset and no, no current "custom" settings will be retained.

As for whether or not you'll have any problems, there's no way to know for sure but you shouldn't have any.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

If for some reason something goes wrong during the restore, it would be replaced under the one year warranty, correct?

5. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

No, unless the thing that went wrong was hardware-related:

Source: http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone.pdf

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

FaceTime is working fine but iMessage won't activate. I turned it off earlier today, and have been trying to turn it on but it gets stuck at "waiting for activation"

----------

Thanks. I don't think anything should go wrong. I have restored my other iOS devices plenty of times.

7. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

If you haven't already, have a look here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4268