Restoring iPhone from backup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdilley14, Dec 31, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

I just thought I would share my experience restoring my iPhone. I just bought an IP5 this weekend (upgraded from the IP4). I backed up my IP4 to both iCloud and my computer. I was hoping to just do a seamless restore but it didn't work out quite as I had hoped. My contacts, emails, pictures, and apps all restored just fine, but I could not get my music to restore. I believe it might have something to do with the fact that I have it selected to manually manage music rather than sync every time I connect the phone to iTunes. Does anyone have any insight on that? It wasn't really a big deal, I just had to spend some time putting my playlists together again and dropping them onto the phone. And now I have it selected to just sync a couple playlists I have on my computer, so managing my music *should* be a little easier for me going forward (as long as I remember to keep adding new music to those playlists). Anyone else experience this? Or was there a step I missed in restoring my new phone that may have allowed me to restore my music?

2. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Hmm I had no issues with any of my stuff when I restored from my 4S when I upgraded to the 5.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you have your phone set up to automatically sync your music from iTunes or do you have it set up to manually manage your music (as I did)?

4. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I've always had it set to manually manage my music ever since my iPhone 3G and never had any problems.

5. macrumors newbie

I had the same issue. I'm guessing its because I manage my music manually.

6. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

I synced my 5 from my iTunes back up of my 4 and it was seamless. No issues at all. I didn't manage my music manually though. Just keep it all on there as I'm lazy!

7. macrumors 603

Tyler23

Backups don't back up music. They don't even back up apps. They back up what apps you have and the app data, but the apps are re-downloaded (with iCloud) or re-synced (through iTunes backup). That's why backups can stay under 5 GB. Otherwise backups would be huge. Music is not backed up, but I guess some playlist info might be?

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

That's what I thought...that it didn't actually back up any of the media. I thought it backed up some sort of "source data" and pulled the actual media (music, apps, etc) from iTunes and loaded it onto the phone when you did a restore from a backup. Gueeeesssss not, lol.