Restoring iPhone from iCloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by diegobgr, Jan 21, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Nov 22, 2009

I received my new iPhone 5 and I want to recover my iCloud backup.

Is there any way to choose what apps I want to install? By default, it installs everything that I had on my iPhone 4.

I think that the only way to avoid this is deleting apps while it's restoring and haven't started to download them. Right?

Thank you!
  2. macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Yep that is the only way. You can't pre-select anything, so the way you've suggested is the best way I know to go about doing this. That, or wait till it's all done then delete.
  3. macrumors 68020

Oct 15, 2008
    You are correct.

As a side note, here is a tip I found last time I restored from the cloud.

Double tap any app and it will install it straight away.

Real handy if you quickly want Facebook and Twitter to be installed first :)
  4. chestvrg, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    I didn't know icloud allows you to restore apps. What about settings and the application data? Reason why I'm asking is because My PC broke permanently and I'm without a personal computer until I'm able to set aside monies to buy me a replacement. If my iPhone brakes, I'll be SOL unless icloud can save the day.
    I'm pretty much using my iPhone on a daily basis for everything, playing the bills, storing all my passwords (password plus), I hold all my contacts on my iPhone also and I'm so afraid if something happens I'll loose a lot of important data. (I have google contacts too as a backup).

I was able to salvage my hard drive from my broken PC.
  5. macrumors G4

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    It doesn't. iCloud stores a list of the apps that you have on your phone as a reference. When you restore, your phone downloads all the apps that are in that list. That's different that backing up all the apps on the phone.

iCloud does store your app settings and app data, provided the app is capable of using iCloud or that you have not removed it from the list to back up.
  6. macrumors 65816

Mar 8, 2012
    iCloud tends to be very strange when backing up saved data on your games and such. Sometimes it'll ignore my game data but that's just occasional.

Gamecenter should save gamedata. It's very strange that it's not doing that already.