restoring iPhoto library from originals only

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ErinR, Jan 14, 2007.

1. ErinR macrumors newbie

Jan 14, 2007
    My very organized husband decided to streamline our iPhoto library by deleting the "extra" copies of our photos that showed up in the Data and Modified folders. We still have all the files in the Originals folder.

When none of the thumbnails showed up he figured he probably was overly zealous in his deleting, but by then he'd already emptied the Trash.

Is there a way we can rebuild our iPhoto database just working from the Originals folder? I found a post in one forum suggesting burning the Originals folder to CD and reimporting from there. Is that the method we should try, or do you have other suggestions?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I can't imagine burning a CD is necessary. I haven't personally tried this, but there's a technique from Apple to rebuild your library which may help. Alternatively, I'd drag the originals folder to the Desktop, delete everything else in the iPhoto Library folder, delete the associated preference files and then reopen iPhoto, ready to reimport the originals from the Desktop.
  3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Feb 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN, USA
    And then stay out of the finder! iPhoto does not want you in the library in finder, and will act really ugly if you persist in messing about in there. Just do all of your photo work from within iPhoto, and everyone will be happy.