restoring ipod

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by excalibur313, Jun 13, 2006.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I have an ipod that I formatted to use as an external hard drive in windows and now I want to format it all and use it as an ipod. When I plug it into a mac it asks if I want to install software and I say yes. It still acts as though it is in target disk mode. How can I switch it to ipod mode?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you saying the iPod is in Disk Mode and you want to return it regular ol' music playing mode? You'll need to reset it if this is the case.

FWIW, this isn't the same as Target Disk Mode, which is the technique to transform a Mac into an external drive. :)

3. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Thanks for the response. When I reset the ipod it comes up with a folder with an exclamation mark on it and then restarts.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Just wondering, how reliable is an ipod as an external hard drive?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

excalibur313, does it get past the folder icon? You may need to restore the firmware with iPod Software Updater if it can't find the iPod data folder. Alternatively, check out the 5 Rs of iPod troubleshooting. :)

dukebound85, the iPod (and its hard disk) was not designed to have constant reading and writing so it's not a great external drive. They wear out quite quickly. Plus, they're easily stolen. :(