Restoring iTunes from External HD???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by burger011, Jun 11, 2004.

1. burger011 macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2002
    I posted a couple of days ago about how to best back up my files. Someone suggested Carbon Copy Cloner which I plan on doing. But.....

My new question is once I backup my iTunes, how do I get it back to EXACTLY the wat it was before? Id there some sort of auto sync that happens or what?

Or if Carbon Copy is not the best thing to use for an iTunes restore from an external firewire HD what is?

Do i have to reformat and clear everything off my external HD before doing CCC?
  2. reaper macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    All you really have to do is copy your user directory to the external drive (provided you haven't installed or stored anything anywhere else) and then reinstall the os. Once you reinstall, just copy over your user directory and reinstall your apps and you should be all set.

Also, for iTunes, all you need to do is completely copy the iTunes folder and your songs (if they are in another directory) and then replace them exactly as they are. The iTunes folder will hold the iTunes playlist and library information and it will be exactly as you left it.

- reaper