Restoring Mac to factory-new state

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by terrorbite, Jan 30, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Due to various reasons, I plan on selling my iBook G4. I want to format the hard drive, so it all feels fresh and new to the buyer. I was wondering if its possible to format it, reinstall Tiger and then immediately shut the iBook down so that when the buyer turns it on for the first time, it brings up the welcome screens where you enter your personal info etc.

Is this possible?

2. macrumors 6502a

Verto

I assumed that a fresh install of OS X would accomplish that?

3. macrumors 601

liketom

i do not think so , when i sell any of my mac's i system restore it with the original disks and put the basics in and a easy password like password .

i would expect the buyer to re-image it themselfs again (as this is what i would do )

just wipe your info off and do not forget to de-authorize your iTunes !! been caught out a few times on that one:eek:

4. macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

I've done this with panther, that worked like a charm. Just installed it as usual, but instead of entering name, passoword etc, I hit the power button. Next time I turned it on, it brought up the welcome screens...

5. macrumors 6502

:eek: :eek: :eek: What can happen if you forget that??? I sold a PB 3 months ago...

6. macrumors 6502a

You assume right.

The original poster should boot the restore CD/DVD that came with their laptop. When the OS X installer is visible, go to the menu bar and open the DiskUtility. Use the DiskUtility to erase the internal drive, selecting the secutiry options to at least zero out all the data. Or using the 7-pass or 35-pass erase options to make it extremely difficult for anyone to recover data from your hard drive.

After you have finished erasing the drive (a 7- or 35- pass erase will take a number of hours). Quit DiskUtility to get back to the OS X installer. Accept the default install options and power down the laptop when you get to the welcome screen.

The next time the laptop is started it will show the welcome screen and walk the new user through setting the computer up.

7. macrumors 601

liketom

5 times rule , if your like me and have more then one mac at a time it gets messy with all them itunes libarys worst case is just an e-mail to itunes customer support to reset your account

8. macrumors 6502

Ahhh, I understand now:rolleyes: last time it told me I was on computer #4 and I wasn't sure what it was about.
    Thanks!

9. thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the replies guys.

10. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Or in iTunes proper, you can look at your account in the Music Store and there is a 'nuke all' button that resets all 5 down to 0 again. You can only use it once a year, though.