Restoring MP3s from iPod question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ZildjianKX, Mar 21, 2004.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I was about to format my mac, and I'm in the process of backing stuff up on my iPod.

All of my MP3s are already stored in my iPod, so I figured I'd just use iPodrip or podworks to restore my songs later.

Here is my big question... after I format my mac and plug in my iPod, won't it recognize my iPod already being synced to my mac and erase all the MP3s from my iPod when it automatically syncs it to itunes (and itunes is empty)?

I just don't wanna lose my MP3s... Thanks

2. lduncan macrumors member

It would be safer to first delete all your mp3s off your ipod (in iTunes) then copy them back to the iPod as just files (NOT through iTunes). They will be unplayable on the iPod, but you won't risk losing them when you plug it back in after fixing your mac.

Layton

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

When you plug you iPod in itunes will reconize that your iPod is synced to another computer and then it will ask you if you want to sync it with the new computer, or not. If you choose not to sync it with your computer after the format, it will not harm any of your MP3's. iTunes can still read all the songs that are on the iPod though. If you click on the iPod logo in iTunes, they should all be there, in the normal dimmed mannor. Good luck on the formating.

4. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

if you want to put all your mp3's back on your computer, dont even open itunes when you plug it in. If it's set to automatically update, just hold down the apple logo key and the option key when you plug it in. This will put it in disk mode. Quit itunes, leaving the ipod mounted on the desktop. Then use this utility called rob's ipod exporter. It's fantastic, as you can take either 1, or all of you songs off your ipod and right into a folder on your desktop.

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/s...ion=search&str=robs+ipod&plt[]=macosx&x=0&y=0