Restoring OSX from a Backup Disk Image

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JasonGough, Jan 17, 2006.

1. JasonGough macrumors regular

JasonGough

I have a backup disk image of my OS drive made in SuperDuper incase i need to restore OSX for any reason..

i have read there are alot of 'invisible' files that are knocking around. Where do these get put? Are they only going to be on volumes with the OS on, or any every volume?

Just wondering cos if i have to restore my drive, am i going to have lotsa old settings/system files on my other drives that will makes things complicated? For example, i don't want to restore the OS, and then install a program and find that OSX thinks its allready installed, or its demo period has expiered or somthing like that.

Is there anything that can be done to clean these files up so my restore sets EVERYTHING back to what it was when i made the working backup?

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you've made a bootable backup, you don't have to worry if you want it your system back at the point you made your backup.

You just boot from the DVD, go to Disk Utility and tell it you want to restore Macintosh HD from your external HD assuming it's firewire. At least that's what I did the one and only time I've ever tried it!

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the firmware for something has been updated since... :confused:

3. emaja macrumors 68000

If I am not mistaken, SD will want to erase the target dive when you do to restore from your clone, just like when the clone is created in an effort to avoid axactly what you are describing.

4. JasonGough thread starter macrumors regular

JasonGough

thanx alot guys!

that sounds brilliant.

I have 2 internal HDs, 1 for the OS, one for audio and stuff.

The backup image is kept on my 2nd internal drive, so i assume booting from the DVD will be able to access that disk image?

Just one more (stupid) thing - how do you boot from the DVD? What do you do different from installing from the DVD? Will booting from the DVD give me the ability to eraes & restore my Mac HD, somthing that i can't do from SuperDuper when its running inside of OSX from Mac HD?

Thanx again, you've helped alot!