Restoring system CD question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Captnroger, May 12, 2003.

1. Captnroger macrumors regular

Aug 12, 2002
    Hi all,

I have a DP 1Ghz G4 MDD, which I bought slightly used. The guy that had it before me did a restore to get it back to the factory state. However, I am noticing a couple of things:

-OS 9.x was not installed (can't switch to it via startup disk). Did they stop installing 9 when they introduced the MDD G4?

-I can't run classic mode - is says it was not installed. Can't figure that one out, can't recall that there is an option to not install classic mode

-iDVD is missing from the application folder. Yes, this is superdrive equipped.

I really don't want to wipe out my drive and start over with a new install - can I just restore the system or application CDs and not wipe out the entire drive?

2. Flickta macrumors 6502

Nov 20, 2002
    Born in USSR
    Dunno. But You can always try and boot up from a restore cd and look what it suggests... and then, perhaps, you have an OS X & OS 9 install CD's? Try them... When my PB G4 (ruined by ctrl-cmd-power restarts of OS X) refused to boot in any system - showed no system folder sign - booting from X cd and archiving and installing helped. My classic was back...
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    you do indeed need OS 9 installed to run Classic. Install it and you'll be good there. If you don't have a copy, you'll have to buy a copy of 9 off ebay or something, or pirate it... which is sadly the way to go, apple hasn't provided it freely yet but they don't sell it either :confused:

4. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2003
    Just because it has a superdrive, doesn't mean it has iDVD. I had to buy iDVD seperate (as part of iLife) for my FP iMac w/Superdrive...
  5. Captnroger thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 12, 2002
    Thanks for the replies, a couple of questions:

iDVD - my understanding that is came with superdrive equipped Macs. This is a first generation MDD back in October of last year. Did I miss something?

Regarding OS9 - so I have to BUY a copy to run classic mode? Again, I thought this was included in OS X.

6. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    With my DP 1GHz MDD the only thing that the OS X discs install is OS X and the basic stuff - NOT iDVD or OS 9. They are on the software restore discs (3 or 4 of them) and need to be installed separately after installing OS X. Did the seller not give you all the discs?
  7. Captnroger thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 12, 2002
    Yes I have the disks. In fact, all the i apps were installed (photo, tunes, movie) but no iDVD. Are you saying this and the classic environment is on disks 3 and 4?