Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Restrictions does not let me play explicit content!

I can not play a lot of my Podcasts anymore, this problem has started after I updated to iOS 8.4.

In the 'Allowed Content' section in Restrictions - Music, Podcasts & iTunes U is grayed out and I cannot change it from Clean to Explicit.

I read somewhere that it maybe because I have my Microsoft Exchange server loaded on Mail but that has been the case for 2 years now, what has changed?

Someone please help!

PS: I am on the Indian iTunes store.

Attachments

• IMG_2823.PNG
    IMG_2823.PNG
    291 KB · Views: 2,788

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
The IT guy who operates the Exchange server says he hasn't changed anything on his end.

Also why would an exchange server setting on my mail affect the primary setting of iOS on my iPhone? Why would Microsoft Exchange block explicit music on iTunes?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The IT guy who operates the Exchange server says he hasn't changed anything on his end.

Also why would an exchange server setting on my mail affect the primary setting of iOS on my iPhone? Why would Microsoft Exchange block explicit music on iTunes?
I notice you have United States set for the country, I'm allowed to change the explicit setting. I wonder if it has to do with the iTunes Store you connected to.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-music-allowing-explicit-content-disabled.1896970/

Seems like another similar situation.

Cortex.ae

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
I have the same exact problem !!! I was so disappointed when I tried manually to add songs to my library I noticed that all of my explicit songs cannot be added to my music .. and then I realized that I cannot change the restrictions for the clean/explicit content !! Please help

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
So I cannot even change the location of my iTunes store because it asks me to cancel my Apple Music subscription. My auto-renewal is already off but how do I switch off the free trial! This is really frustrating!

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I notice you have United States set for the country, I'm allowed to change the explicit setting. I wonder if it has to do with the iTunes Store you connected to.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-music-allowing-explicit-content-disabled.1896970/

Seems like another similar situation.

I think it has got to do with the Indian iTunes Store because a few friends are having similar problems but this wasn't the case before we updated to iOS8.4 because explicit content could be played on the Podcasts app up till iOS8.3.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I think it has got to do with the Indian iTunes Store because a few friends are having similar problems but this wasn't the case before we updated to iOS8.4 because explicit content could be played on the Podcasts app up till iOS8.3.

What happens if you just turn restrictions off completely?

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
It still remains locked to clean & blocks all explicit content. It's clearly a glitch with iOS8.4 for accounts on the Indian store atleast.

Apple needs to sort this out quick!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It still remains locked to clean & blocks all explicit content. It's clearly a glitch with iOS8.4 for accounts on the Indian store atleast.

Apple needs to sort this out quick!
Perhaps some sort of stipulation associated with accounts on the Indian store?

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
It's really annoying since there was never a problem playing explicit content earlier from the Indian store and now suddenly after 8.4 and without any warning it's being blocked.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Is there any word from Apple? If this is an intentional change from 8.3 to 8.4 or its an oversight?

paneesh_huehue

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2015
I have the same issue and I'm from India as well. The issue is more about the region where we live as opposed to an issue with iOS. So I changed my iTunes and App Store region to United States and my hidden explicit music re-appeared.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I have the same issue and I'm from India as well. The issue is more about the region where we live as opposed to an issue with iOS. So I changed my iTunes and App Store region to United States and my hidden explicit music re-appeared.

Hey could you tell me how you managed to change your iTunes Store? Because it asks me to cancel Apple Music subscription if I have to change my iTunes Store region.

But I'm unable to cancel my Apple Music subscription because it is in free trial period. At most I'm able to stop it from renewing at the end of the 3 months.

paneesh_huehue

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2015
Hey could you tell me how you managed to change your iTunes Store? Because it asks me to cancel Apple Music subscription if I have to change my iTunes Store region.

But I'm unable to cancel my Apple Music subscription because it is in free trial period. At most I'm able to stop it from renewing at the end of the 3 months.

As far as changing the iTunes Store, there's only a single method for that (Settings>iTunes & App Store>*select your Apple ID*>View Apple ID>Country/Region>*change it to United States*. But I haven't subscribed to Apple Music, because I don't have a credit card, so I really don't know how to change iTunes Store without affecting the Apple Music subscription. I changed my Region to United States only to ALLOW explicit music in my library. But do you need to re-pay for your Apple Music in order to change the region?

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Right now you don't need to pay at all since its in trial period. But you need a valid payment method saved on your file.

Once you have subscribed to Apple Music it is not possible to change your iTunes region as they ask you to cancel the Apple Music subscription, which is impossible to do within the trial period.

droidgod

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
here is the funny thing about this idiotic stuff by Apple. Let me give you an example. I listen to Megadeth's "Peace Sells.." Album. It is marked as Explicit in Apple Music. It is greyed out on my iPad as expected(as per this and my thread). Now i went on iTunes(mac as well as PC) and searched Apple Music for the same "Peace Sells.." album and voila it is marked Explicit but NOT Greyed out.

I even listened to all the songs on the album(even checked the track numbers on the internet).

Here is what is even funnier, if you try to add that album to your library, then only a few songs get added(presumably the songs that are not Explicit). BUT you can stream the whole album.

LOL & WTF @ :apple:

:confused::mad:o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.