Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
my mates got a b&w g3 with an old apple moniter that is capable of going to 1024x768 rez but when he went from 9 to 10.3 he lost the ability to go there the moniter is conected via a wide apple display connection to vga converter is there a way to force that resulution?

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
have you tried clicking on the "detect displays" button? only thing I can think of.

its odd that it won't do that res because a monitors max res isn't based on os at all. its all controlled in the monitor and also the blue and whites video (rage 128) card is capable of doing up to 1920x1440.

idkew

macrumors 68020
you might be using a converter that sets the resolution. look at where the monitor attaches to the computer. is there a part that looks out of place? if so, you probably have a converter, and need to set the resolution with the dip switches on it.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
tryed detecting displays but nothing and there are no switches on the converter is there a way to force a resolution on OSX?

mikepctp

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2003
just north of Toronto, Canada
I am assuming your mate's using the RAGE 128 card. My suggestion is to visit the ATI site and read up in the download section there for the appropriate driver. There were some ATI issues with some video cards (mostly PCI types) and there are different drivers for OS9 & OSX.2.6 compared to OSX.2.8 as an example. I don't know much about OSX.3 driver compatibility.
It is possible there is a driver there that allows support for the Rage, the version of OSX you have and the resolution you seek. Once the driver set is loaded, you can "push" a res from there.
I would start at the ATI site. (http://www.ati.com)

Good luck... MP

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
anyone noticed that the ati site is intorilably slow it nearly loads the page and then takes forever?

cant find a driver for the original rage the only rage driver they have is for a rage orion which he dose not have

i may be flashing a radeon 7000 for him soon hopefully that should fix it.

his mum's geting him a powerbook next tuesday if new ones are out :mad: (insert online jelousy here)

mikepctp

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2003
just north of Toronto, Canada
Make sure you use the correct Radeon to flash.
DDR Ram PCI versions work. Lots of info out there to help you avoid having a dead card after the flash. I have an actual Mac version PCI 7000 32Mb Radeon working very well in my FrankenG3/G4 here (as far up as 10.2.8).

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hector said:
anyone noticed that the ati site is intorilably slow it nearly loads the page and then takes forever?

cant find a driver for the original rage the only rage driver they have is for a rage orion which he dose not have

i may be flashing a radeon 7000 for him soon hopefully that should fix it.

his mum's geting him a powerbook next tuesday if new ones are out :mad: (insert online jelousy here)
I have the same problem with ATI's site - it takes FOREVER to load that last element of each page. I wish it didn't do that, even with my broadband connection! I might even submit a note to the webmaster about this if nobody else here does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.