Resume Building

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by seabass069, Aug 31, 2006.

1. seabass069 macrumors regular

Is the Professional Resume template that Microsoft Word has available sufficient for sending out to companies?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Every job area is different, e.g. the Word format probably isn't a great idea if your job area is as a designer who will be responsible for the creative layout of printed materials. :p

What kind of job are you seeking?

B

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I would say "no" just because everyone and their brother uses it.

Lethal

4. seabass069 thread starter macrumors regular

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You're probably fine. They're quite used to uniformity in that environment. :p

B

6. seabass069 thread starter macrumors regular

Another question. When writing a resume, you need to write what job your are interested in. Your cover letter and resume will state the name of the company your interested in. How should you write your objectives when you bring your resume to a job fair? At this point, you do not know what company you are giving your resume to. Who do you address it to?

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Your resume doesn't need to state the name of the company you're applying to, just the general type of job you're looking for. There's no harm having several different resumes, each tailored to different sectors or jobs. Then at the job fair you hand out the resume that matches what the employer is looking for.

For example, you could have one that says, "Objective: A systems management position with a public sector company or government agency," and another that says, "Objective: A systems management position with a growing Internet technology company." Then emphasize your skills and experience related to each sector. Also, make sure you have an answer for why you want to work for a prticular type of company, if asked.

As for the format of your resume, simple and clean works best. No fancy fonts or paper. Some companies now scan resumes into a database and scan them for keywords. If the computer can't understand how to read your resume, it may get passed over.

8. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I would never use the Word template. I paid a company to write my resume. It involved a 5 hours meeting prior to starting the process so they could get an idea of my skills, experiences and what I was looking for. I was quite pleased with the results and it landed me a Sr. Executive position. It was not cheap though.

If you cannot afford to pay to have a company write your resume and you decide to do it on your own. Make sure you have a few people who work in management positions to read through it and give you an honest assessment.

9. seabass069 thread starter macrumors regular

I was fortunate to have an excellant career speaker when I went through TAPS. Since there are many templates to choose from. I did use a word template, but altered it to a more professional template.