Resume Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DarkNetworks, Apr 4, 2006.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I need to prepare a resume but I've absolutely no idea how to prepare one. Can anyone give me some examples on their personal resume? I mean an example of what your resume looks like. Thanks in advance.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A résumé should be different for each type of job you apply for. What sort of job are you looking at? :)

3. DCapple macrumors regular

DCapple

a good resume should always contain all your job experiences with a company background and the job/task that you do there...:)

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Try one of the templates in Word or Pages. Though they're not perfect and can look a bit yuk, they are a pretty good guide as to the things you need to include.

I think the most important thing is to keep things neat, precise and official looking - this means no word art, lame backgrounds, watermarks of your face (I had a friend that did this once and it look hideous), ugly coloured text or "fancy" fonts. Use well selected adjectives that present you in the best light but don't ramble. Have a look around on the internet, many job seeking sites have guides to resume writing.

Good luck with it!

5. Takumi macrumors regular

don't do what I did.

buy a return air fair to Tasmania, spend 12 days riding around the island (on a push bike, with only a back pack) visiting various mine sites without any documentation looking tired, untidy wearing bike knicks and gennerally not smelling all that great.

Even with all that stacked against me I was offerd 2 jobs, one interview (which I couldn't attend,) 1 free nights accomidation and a days fishing.

Takumi

P.S: On the more traditional side do a google search, look at a few templates and see if you can find what others have done.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Start with a "Super-resumé" section at the top of the first page. Two text boxes containing bullet points. One for Key Skills, the other for Key Achievements. This gets people's attention.

Follow that up with your work experience. Start with the latest and work backwards. Don't be afraid to go into detail on the more recent stuff, but as you go back in time try and keep it concise.

Then list your professional (if you have any) and academic qualifications, and finish up with Interests and another quick bullet point section of things which are relevant (e.g. your location and/or willingness to relocate, whether you have a driving license, languages spoken etc).

Try and keep it all on two pages if possible, and never overflow onto four. Remember you are using the resumé simply to open the door to an interview, so sell yourself big time. Anything you've done that you consider a plus should go into it.

7. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I'm planning to apply for a cadet pilot position in my local airlines.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Excellent. Well, there's great advice in this thread already. All I can say is that you'll go further if you make it look like it was customised for them. try to include as many things that are relevant to their company as possible. Good luck. :)

9. Takumi macrumors regular

not so much on the Resume front but if you are fortunate enough to get an interview, make sure you know all about the planes that they fly, just basic stuff like seating capasity, range, manifacture, model number, powerplant...

just be prepaird for anything.

Takumi

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i second that

also, those big resume books you can find at borders, amazon, barnes and noble give many examples of targeted resumes

1) there used to be a one page rule for resumes but since the computer, people have been able to put more information on "a page" without looking too crowded...the employer simply scrolls down and reads the resume on their computer and many companies now only look at resumes primarily online

2) but don't abuse the length of the resume and keep in mind that people who look at a lot of resumes (like i once did as an hr clerk) like it very direct, unless the applicant is a very experienced candidate looking at a very specific job where there are very few resumes to look at

3) a resume for a cashier at a sporting goods store will be much smaller than one for a chief executive for a major company or organization, but all employees are the most valueable asset to any company/business and never underestimate your worth for an employer

4) education is only usually stated first for a young job hunter with very little experience, or no experience in the working world, where a chronological resume is more suited for a person with a few years in the working world thus appropriately putting work history down before education, and the most skilled job hunters with many years of experience have a skills/accomplishment resume and may be justified in having that second page without looking too bloated

i hope this helps and good luck

11. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

You're 19, so that would make you, at most a Sophomore (more likely a Frosh) in college, yes? Unless this "cadet" thing you speak of is something you do instead of school (I don't know about all this flying stuff). With that in mind, you may not have very many things to put on a resume, so you need to think carefully about what to include, and will probably want to restrict it to one page.

On that page, you will need to have your name, current address, permanant address (if different), and email address. These things should comprise the heading of your resume.

You will need a section for education. This section would include where you went to high school (though after college you would not put this), where you are going to college (if you are), your GPA (if it was impressive), the dates of attendance, and any honors you may have received. Also remember to put at least the state - if not the city and state - for any institution the employer would not certainly be familiar with.

You will need a section with your work experience. This can include full-time, part-time, seasonal, and school-related jobs. List your title, when you worked, and give a description of your duties. Try to tailor the descriptions to hit on the sorts of characteristics you think would be imortant to the job or program you are applying to. You don't necessarily need to put everything you have done on there, but you do want to make it look like you have some experience doing something. As you get older, you will want to make sure there are not large gaps of missing time if someone does a chronology of your schooling and work.

You will need a section with your activities (in and out of school), and any non-scholastic accomplishments. Activities do not include, say, mountain biking unless you are a sponsored rider, often place highly in races (if you do, be sure to tell them), or you are somehow applying to ride bikes.

These sections do not need to go in this order (though it is standard to start with your educational background), and you could certainly have other sections if needed. Remember to make yourself sound good, but don't BS too much, and certainly don't lie.

In the end, there are a lot of places you can look, and a lot of people you can ask, but in the end you will figure most of it out when you sit down and try to write one.

Good luck! :)

12. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Thanks for all the great replies. I think now I've some ideas on how I can prepare a good resume. Thanks once again.

13. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

There's been a lot of good advice given so far and I definitely agree with putting the most important stuff first. When I was laid off a couple of years ago they included a package with a Career Management group where they gave us job search, resume, interview and negotiation techniques. One thing that they suggested that I found to be very effective is to list achievements at your workplace rather than just a laundry list of duties/tasks under each job in your employment section. For every year you worked at the company you should be able to come up with 1-2 achievements. You give a general description of what your job entailed in a short summary under the job title, and then you bullet your achievements under that. That shows how you were beneficial to the company and is a good eye-catcher. If you can give hard numbers on your achievements (i.e., Saved company $10M by implementing X process) then that's even better. Quantifying your achievement shows them how beneficial it was.

If you want I can send you a copy of my resume as an example. Just PM me.

14. mannix87 macrumors 6502

what specific position are you applying for?

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Try to get all your info on one page, make sure your text is not too small and leave the reference out and just provide the letters....have a cover letter and a nice folder.

Bless

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Since everybody else has an opinion....Create a detachable resume. You should be able to submit the first page as a resume or the entire thing (if it is multiple pages). Don't list every job - just relevant ones. For example, I no longer list pre-college employment (about to graduate from law school). Even since college jobs tend to be limited out (I don't list my semester working at the campus creamery)...

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

For lots of advice and example resumes, visit Resume Wiki. You can also post your resume and get tips.

18. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Um, and make sure you print actual numbers. Employers like NUMBERS

Worked on a $1,000,000 grant

Had 536 active clients

Grossed $323,000 in last fiscal year.

3.78 overall GPA

Have detailed, and up to date numbers.

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It also helps to put your significant accomplishments and practical work experience first on your resume, before your actual education. Most employers are concerned with what you have actually done, what real world experience you have, and what you can show for it, then they'll look to see what education you have to back it up as a foundation. :cool:

20. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

What people have been telling you is great for general resume building, but what you (and they) need to remember is that you are 19 years old. You will not be able to do a lot of the things that have been specifically mentioned, but you can still try to model what you can do after their suggestions.

21. anil77 macrumors newbie

resume help

hey people....i'm applying as a cadet pilot in singapore airline.... but i have to admit i'm quite in the dark zone when it comes to writing my resume...any sort of help would be really appreciated....pls and thanks :)