Resume switched off, but TextEdit still opens last document?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by stevearm, Jul 23, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

As the title says I've switched Resume off, but whenever I close TextEdit, it doesn't ask me to save changes to the document, and when I re-open, my last bit of text is still there.

If I wanted to ****** save it, I would have. :mad:

Any ideas how to remove this "feature"?

2. macrumors 68000

Same annoyance here. That's a feature of Autosave, not Resume.

See this thread that I created, it answers your question and more:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1194547&highlight=

3. macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Yep. I have the same issue. I think they've dumbed this operating system down for people they believe make a lot of errors in the course of their workflow. There are very few times I can remember closing a program before I saved the file I was working on. This new move toward auto-save/resuming has become more of an annoyance than a 'feature' for me. Oh well, Apple says jump and I jump...

4. macrumors 65816

LOL - I want to know what will stop Preview from previewing everything it has previewed before each time I look at something new :p

5. macrumors 68000

Same here. :D

6. macrumors regular

Fabricman112

I absolutely HATE this "feature".. there should at least be an option to disable auto-save

I´ve got a bunch of textfiles that as use as templates for python scripts... if I wanted to change a small variable somewhere in the middle of the txt, imagine the mess all the versions would become :mad:

so I switched to textwrangler for all text documents, change a few numbers, copy & paste... NOT changing my template

7. tkermit, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

macrumors 68030

tkermit

If you're using a file as a template, may I suggest locking it, so that the system will ask you to duplicate it?

I love this new AutoSave+Resume feature because I often create a ton of documents that either have only temporary purpose or for which I'm not willing to choose a file name or location yet.

Spotlight will even show unsaved documents now. :)

8. macrumors regular

Fabricman112

I did lock.. but thats not how I wanted it at all
    I´d like to manually change a few numbers/letters and then paste into terminal for testing, when I have it to my liking I´ll save it to a new file... now I have 2 files my original template and my final, and NOT 300 versions between

9. macrumors 68030

tkermit

But if you never look at the Versions view, you still end up with only 2 files, your original template and your final? Just save and lock the duplicate file when you're satisfied with it. Or are your worried about disk space? Which shouldn't be a huge issues at all with text files and deltas.

10. macrumors regular

Fabricman112

well I have no need for any versions, just the fact that I have to lock my file for it not to change (if I want a change I´ll save it/another), annoys me

but I´ll just use textwrangler instead, it behaves like I want it to

11. macrumors regular

Fabricman112

say I have 4 small textfiles that I´m combining into 1 script...
    maybe I need to test each file differently (changing something everytime) when I´m satisfied with the 4 seperate ones I´ll paste them to a new textfile... when done with that I´ll save the combined and hit cmd+q NOT saving the 4 other (that now differ from my template) :eek:

now imagine this with twice the amount of windows..:rolleyes:

12. tkermit, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

macrumors 68030

tkermit

Thanks for the example scenario — makes sense.

I guess the proper new workflow would be to first duplicate each file that you don't actually intend to permanently change. But it does seem to be an additional step at this point.

Maybe Apple could create an option to have certain files be opened as a template by default or after hitting a shortcut...