resuscitated iMac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Along with the magic of my iMac staying awake during a 10 second power outtage... I've found another strange Mac power.

Even though the power scheduler isn't in use my iMac always turns itself back on at either 5 minutes past every hour, or an hour after it's been off (haven't experimented with it yet). It's a little annoying. I was dozing off to sleep and DUUUUUN - it woke me up!

Could there be anything telling my machine to automatically turn itself on?

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

The Heavens?
    Ghosts?
    You don't own a insanely cleaver cat do you?

3. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Pram

Is there PRAM on this model? Is there any way to reset any setting on the Motherboard? Alternatively, unplug the mac when you sleep!

F

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I think I'm going to have to! I mean I went to a lecture this morning, iPod had charged up overnight so I turn off... come back and the little white "monitor is off" light was on!

I'm scared to unplug it just incase it still came on. Then I'd probably cry.

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I seem to recall that with OS9, you had to set the Power Management (startup/shutdown/sleep) thingy whether you intended to use it or not. Even if the extension wasn't active, it would still execute whatever settings were in there.

What you might do is go into Energy Saver in OSX, and click "Restore Defaults." After that, restart the machine. Then go back into Energy Saver and put the settings where you want them. It's worth a shot.

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Ruddy nora! I downloaded the new security update, restarted. alls well. I turn off the "restart after power failure" option in the energy settings and shut down the iMac.

Go out for an hour. Come home and it's ON. I tried the above schedule options too, even setting it for a time the iMac is always on at. I don't understand this at all! How long does my Apple phone support last for now?

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Is it possible there was a surge of excessive power that cause this power outage, thus somehow keeping your Mac on for 10 seconds (which it really shouldn't do) and also frying something in the process? You have this thing on a surge protector right?

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

No, just plugged straight into a regular ol' power socket.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

That could be a key issue.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It survived a power outage so mabe it is a special Mac that doesn't need power, it's Alive!;) :rolleyes: ;)

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm getting a feeling this is hard to believe ;)
    Going to film this happening later. Just got to work out what the pattern is. Seems to be 5 minutes past every hour.

OH! and it only happens if you shut the machine down in OSX. If I was using Windows last then it's fine.

12. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

13. imacintel macrumors 68000

The same thing happened to me when I had my my iMac. :confused:

14. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

THANK YOU. It isn't just my crazy electricity then. I'm going to ask if the Genius Bar folk if this auto-wake up could be caused by anything.

15. imacintel macrumors 68000

It has both awoken from sleep mode, and started up from complete off. :confused: