Retail Store Help (PB/iBook)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gdprof27, Dec 27, 2004.

1. gdprof27 macrumors member

gdprof27

Hello gang...newbie needing advice (shocker, I know!)

After much coaxing and hinting I have $350 in apple store retail gift certificates:

1. I have a wife who is a teacher

2. A need for an Apple portable

3. No clue on the best way to apprach buying it after MWSF.

Can I take advantage of the educational discout at the retail store and walk out with a PB or iBook right then and there?

FYI....I am going to be using the Apple for music collection, Internet, Word & Xcel, Photoshop, personal website design and some minor movie editing. Reccomendations as far as a PB or iBook?

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice anyone can provide me!

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

As long as your wife has her Educational ID from where she works yes you will get the discount at the Apple Store Retail right away.

For your needs I would go with an 12" iBook, unless you want a SuperDrive and larger screen same resolution then go with the 14" iBook.

If you are buying now buy an iBook, if you want a PB then wait after MWSF 2005. :)

Max out the ram on the iBook, since I do the same video editing and it really helps. :)

3. gdprof27 thread starter macrumors member

gdprof27

An excellent point.....thank you for the info. I went to the local Apple store today and test drove both.....tell ya the truth I'm sold on the 15" PB. I like the FireWire 800, the backlit keyboard, the bigger HD and the faster processor & drive speed.

Besides...it just looks better. The iBook, for all it's improvements, still looks like a toy compared to the PB.

So now the waiting begins....MWSF has to come and go before a new Mac graces my desk.

Does anyone have contrasting opinions? I would love to hear 'em!

4. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

How soon?

Often people suggest to wait for MWSF 2005. If a G5 ( :p ) pb is introduced (or any new powerbook really) how soon would it be available? Whats the typical time for new products from apple? Thanks
    Nick

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Waiting Period:

iPod mini = 6 months

PMG5 dual 2.5GHz = 6 months

iMac G5 = 3-4 weeks

iPod = 3 days

iBook G4 = 3 days

ACD = 1 week 30" model = 1.5 month

eMac G4 = 3 days

:)

PowerBook Dual Core G4 or Single Processor G5 = 1 year ;)

6. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

So even if you CAN wait for MWSF, it still may be 6 months until you get your laptop (though that's an extreme case). Ok, i feel good about buying my new ibook now (ARRIVING TOMORROW!) :D :)

7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

m a y a,

You seem to know your stuff. I have been reading a lot of different opinions from people about this issue. Some say that the iBook is not due for an update for a long time and that the Powerbook is due in just a few weeks. Others take your side saying that the powerbook update is long off. I am in a similar boat and I would like to get my powerbook ordered as soon as possible. Even if they do announce an update to the powerbooks at MWSF how long would it take to actually get one. Is there anywhere you get your info from on this stuff or is it just opinion? Thanks!

8. gdprof27 thread starter macrumors member

gdprof27

and another question I guess would be....what will they do with the in-store demo models of the old PB's if/when they announce the upgrades?

9. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Does anyone know if you can buy them and where?

10. gdprof27 thread starter macrumors member

gdprof27

Apparently Apple takes all demo PB's off of the shelves when new ones are announced.

They are not marked down or even available for purchase after any kind of upgrade is announced.

11. Rubin421 macrumors member