Retail vs Education version ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fender2112, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

I'm think about getting the Adobe Creative Suite. I checked eBay and both retail and education versions are for sell. What are the differences between the two version?

Thanks

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Only difference: it's against the licence agreement to sell your Education Licence. If you buy Education from eBay, you won't be 100% legit. May as well d/l it. :rolleyes:

(I'm *not* saying that you should download it, but buying Eductation if you're not intitile to it, probably isn't much better)

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you're going to be buying the education version, if you qualify, you may as well buy it from someplace more legit. Like Academic Superstore or here. Do a search for it on someplace like Yahoo Shopping and you'll get a good deal. Around $400. According to the FAQ, there is no difference between edu and retail.

4. Fender2112 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

I found this in the Readme file of the trial version:

GoLive CS Educational Version
    The GoLive CS Educational version does not contain the following actions which are
    documented in the user guide and Online Help:
    - CSS Redirect.action
    - Key Press.action
    - Random Links.action
    - Text Swap (ID).action
    - Last Modified (form).action
    - Last Modified (ID).action
    - Clock Date (ID).action
    - Digital Clock.action
    - Print Document.action

I would assume that the other apps would also have some features missing.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

wouldnt it just be better to get the regular version at the education price? or the education version, if you have no need for some of the missing features? For some software titles, the education version ismuch much nicer.

6. Fender2112 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Well, that's why I post the question. I was hoping folks who use these apps would have input as to what one version has that the other doesn't. I'm not sure what Clock Date.action does. But I'd hate to need it and not have it if it's something useful.

But yes. If I can get the full version at a discount, that's what I'll do. I just to know if the mising features are worth having.

7. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I use Adobe Design Collection Education Version (the one before CS). There are no notable differences between Education and Retail. I wasn't aware of the missing actions you pointed out, but I doubt they are a real problem. The only true difference I know of is you don't get the stock photography CD for Photoshop in the Edu version. The apps are *exaclty* the same (as far as I can tell).

If you're intitled to the Edu suite, buy it new (you're not allowed to get it second hand: see licence agreement). If not, pick up retail either new or second hand.

NB: If buying off eBay, make sure you get all the original CD's, books and registration numbers.