RETAIL...

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by mac15, Jan 9, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

APPLE REALLY NEEDS TO GO RETAIL THEY NEED APPLE STORES IN SHOPPING CENTERS

THEY NEED MACS IN ORDINARY COMPUTER STORES NO JUST IT MAC ONLY STORES
    IN AUSTRALIA OUR MAJOR ELECTRONIC STORES ARE HARVEY NORMAN, GRACE BROS WE NEED THEM IN STORES LIKE THAT NOT IN MAC ONLY STORES

MAYBE APPLE COULD RELEASE A WORLDWIDE AD CAMPAIGN TO EVERY COUNTRY (EVEN AFGHANISTAN HAHAHAH)

APPLE NEEDS THIS

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

no thanks...

maybe Apple should see how well the retail stores do first here?

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Too Late..........

Apple Stores are MOSTLY in Malls here in the US. :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :p

4. nubneck macrumors newbie

malls

Yep. All of the ones I've gone to have been in malls. If anything, they certainly get a lot of exposure, and the stores have a really nice atmosphere to them...

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

absent minded...

I haven't paid much attention to where they have been opening since they are nowhere near me... :(

6. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

the point

The point of the Apple Stores is really not to sell product like CompUSA. Its to put on display What apple has to offer as well as other vernders that support Apple. One thing that Windows users allways say is.."there is no software for Mac" But thats not true... there may be less than windows but there is more than I need. Just having a wall of Software tiltes on dispaly and the wonderfull Apple hardware out were you can paly with it helps to convert the masses. Most Windows useres have never used a Mac... or even palyed with one for that matter. Us MacHeads dont really care were we get our Toys, we well get them some how. The Apple stores are for the masses.

just like you guys said.. its all about exposure.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

and what a good point it was...

it's true....we care only that we get our Mac toys...

8. Classic macrumors regular

Re: Too Late..........

The Palo Alto Store isn't in a mall. Just a boutique on the main drag in the downtown shopping area.

9. hinkhous macrumors member

Apple Retail

How many of you have actually been to an Apple store. What were your thoughts?

10. Onyxx macrumors regular

mixed review

I went to an apple store to show a PC guy just what Final Cut Pro could do on a G4. Unfourtuanately their "expert" didn't know jack and I had to put on a little show (for the pc guy, the "expert" and about 10 others in the store). That was a real bummer but the fact that there was well maintained apple equipement that people could freely use was a big plus. I say this because if you have ever been into a compUSA, the macs are almost always shoved in the back somewhere and only 1/4 of them actually work correctly (they had an iPod but it wouldnt even turn on and you can't pick it up). At the apple store everything was out in the open and un shackled by "multiple user" startup (shudder). If apple were to stock the place with some real mac heads (any volunteers? he he) they would be a heck of a lot better off. just my 2¢ on the issue

11. cplmd macrumors member

real purpose of mac stores

I seem to remember the reason Jobs gave for Mac Stores was to provide the right "atmosphere" for display and experience of mac products.

It's all about control, from the hardware, to the software and OS to how to get to see the products - the Apple (Jobs) way is the only way.

Apple's online store does alot of the actual selling to Mac stuff. I seem to recall somewhere it's like the 5th highest site for retail on the Internet.

12. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

apple australia pulled out of harvey norman around 4 years ago. it was doing more harm to apple than good......usual story, they carried bugger all software, had them shoved in a corner, not even turned on and pinheads who didn't know a thing about them. david jones did sell macs but they dropped them 5 or 6 years ago.

13. Unregistered Guest

Apple could do well to push more in Europe, particularly Ireland! Apple's European hq is based here in Cork, Ireland, yet theres only one store in town that sells them! On top of that the store is ridiculously expensive, even for Mac standards, a Blue & white G3, 400MHz I think it was, CD drive, 64MB RAM that was lying around the store and they were looking for IR£1100, thats roughly €1300! (US$1,159.60 according to Yahoo's converter) Unreal was IR£60 and I got it in a mail order bookstore across town for <IR£40!

I agree with some of the comments above, most of the people I know are completely uninformed about Macs in general, thought the original iMac was a toy, not a serious computer and most have never actually seen one in the flesh. Makes it easy for them to dismiss Mac enthusiasts as being completely biased and ready to love anything Apple will throw at them (although I have to admit this is prob. true of a lot of Macheads!).

Yet at the same time these same people agree that most of what Microsoft produces is complete rubbish. There's a huge market out there just waiting for Apple, its time they got their ass in gear and got these machines in these peoples' hands!

14. Moby 1 Guest

Apple Stores - my thoughts

I just spent an hour in an Apple Store tonight.

I've been to two stores so far... I love them.

- They let me download the December OS X Developer's tools and burn a CD (I'm on dial-up).

- I took a picture of myself with a Nikon 995, standing in front of the "Big Screen" playing iTunes and U/L to my iDisk so I'd have it when I go home.

- I watched "The Power of OS X" QT stream.

- I played with a Sony DV camcorder and filmed people walking by the store by using the "NightShot" technology.

- I got to lift up the new 14" iBook to see if it was too heavy for me (try THAT at CompUSA!).

- I got to actually listen to MP3's BEFORE I bought the MP3 player (I did too).

- I got to compare LCD's of various types/sizes. The 22" display makes my TiBook's look tiny.

- I listened to other visitors who have more experience that me with DV editing talk about what's going on in the local industry.

- I got to actually pick up, unzip, examine, carry, wear, one of the Brenthaven bags for the TiBook (nice).

- I asked if I could bring in 5GB of data on my iPod, buy some DVD media and burn a DVD. They said..."YES" (!).

Awesome!

- My only suggestion...How about actually having a PC in the store to show how easy it is to share/open files.

- Oh! I also got to play with the new iMac tonight. It looks better in person. It feels/looks "right". I'm gonna get the SuperDrive model later this month.

If you haven't been to Fry's or CompUSA...consider yourself lucky.
    If you haven't been to an Apple Store...I hope they open one near you soon.

M1

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Moby 1

well u don't have to brag about it already! :p

16. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

WOW! That really impresses me! I didnt know that the Apple stores were so conducive to allowing you acces to their stuff. That makes me proud. There's nothing worse than walking into Fry's or CompUSA or Best Buy, and having all the products glued, bolted, strapped, broken, and screensaved. (with a username and password to take the Screen Saver off-how STUPID is THAT?)

I really like that the Apple employess, experts or not, allow you to USE their computers, instead of just showcasing a screensaver. You get to see some of their best software packages in action, can download stuff wirelessly, etc. They will even let you burn CD's? Awesome! I cant wait to get an Apple Store in my area.

I really DO like the above poster's suggestion that you can link with a PC easily, and transfer files back and forth and open them without any problems. (specfically, MS Word, .ai, .psd, .fla, .obj, etc)

But my suggestion with that is, if you DO have a PC in the store, it should be in the corner, half broken, with nothing but a screensaver running.....:D

17. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I feal bad now

I am a Die Hard MacHead and I have never been to an Apple store. I'm amlost embarrassed that I haven't. After that little sales pitch by Moby1, Im going to have to check one out. I have one thats about 30 min from my home. Next stop Apple store!

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

evildead....

u should be ashamed of yourself!!!!

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hows the genious bar?

or whatever they call it.